Halloween Event

Violentvole

Just now, SlothnessMonster said:

yep ive done a full night in NC & 3 full nights in Everglades with 0 bites no matter where i try n what combination of hook & depth using the overpriced halloween baits

its crazy the hours ive spent and not a bite nothing lol im going madddddd lol

1 hour ago, holo said:

its crazy the hours ive spent and not a bite nothing lol im going madddddd lol

Don’t waste your time on the event the admin @Killerwhale answered the other forum with everybody saying it’s broken and he said nope it was meant to be impossible to catch them. So basically good luck thanks for your money and get (something that rhymes with ducked)! 

Despite the obvious frustration around this event, I thought I'd continue to post my observations around the Albino in Florida.

The first thing that I started doing last night was to only fish each spot for 30 seconds to a minute. Over the last two nights I have noticed that, while it is possible to catch after waiting in one spot it seems to make more sense to move about, as all of the activity I have had from these fish comes very soon after the cast. The fish I caught on the first night came from waiting most of the night in one spot. That fish returned six times before I finally hooked it.

Last night I tried eight spots. Five of them produced nibbles or bites in under one minute. I had one fish from the left side of the thickets straight after casting. The fish showed itself immediately after casting and then took virtually straight away. Bait was the eye on 20" leader size 5/0 hook. This spot gave me three more sightings, as did two spots along the far bank lilly bed.

Triple X's honey pot produced my second fish. This came to a different bite type with the float moving around in small bobs, rather than the one big bob followed by a strong bite. I also did not see the fish in this spot at all. This bite was the same as the one I thought was a Bluegill the night before. This spot produced another five nibbles through my visits but no further fish. The one I did catch was on the dead mouse, 20" leader and 5/0 hook.

I also tried fishing straight out to the lilly lined channel and this also produced an immediate nibble and a sighting of the fish.

Not sure if any of this has helped, but personally I prefer this more roving approach. If I get a sign immediately but no bite I may wait a couple of minutes to see if the fish returns, but so far this seems to take too long, whereas searching out another fish can have immediate results.

• Like 1

So I jumped on for a 2 hour session after getting home from work and spent a fruitless hour in LA before getting utterly and thoroughly bored with nary a nibble, despite trying where I caught my first vamp and trying a spot where they're highly visible very close in.

Went to FL for my last hour, 3 albino gar. 

It could stay live until Xmas and I wouldn't get 100 vamps at this rate.

• Like 1

I fished a third night on Florida. Got some similar nibbly bites in a few swims, but overall much less Albino activity than the previous two nights. Did get nibbles in two new swims, to the left of the Salty Delta pontoon by the weed and to the left of the Infinity pontoon by the weed. The latter gave me my only fish of the night to a dead mouse. The only fish I saw was to the left of the thickets pontoon.

The only fish came within about 15 seconds of casting.

Edited by Frenchpoliser
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Frenchpoliser said:

I fished a third night on Florida. Got some similar nibbly bites in a few swims, but overall much less Albino activity than the previous two nights. Did get nibbles in two new swims, to the left of the Salty Delta pontoon by the weed and to the left of the Infinity pontoon by the weed. The latter gave me my only fish of the night to a dead mouse. The only fish I saw was to the left of the thickets pontoon.

The only fish came within about 15 seconds of casting.

Same here.

8 hours ago, Frenchpoliser said:

Despite the obvious frustration around this event, I thought I'd continue to post my observations around the Albino in Florida.

The first thing that I started doing last night was to only fish each spot for 30 seconds to a minute. Over the last two nights I have noticed that, while it is possible to catch after waiting in one spot it seems to make more sense to move about, as all of the activity I have had from these fish comes very soon after the cast. The fish I caught on the first night came from waiting most of the night in one spot. That fish returned six times before I finally hooked it.

Last night I tried eight spots. Five of them produced nibbles or bites in under one minute. I had one fish from the left side of the thickets straight after casting. The fish showed itself immediately after casting and then took virtually straight away. Bait was the eye on 20" leader size 5/0 hook. This spot gave me three more sightings, as did two spots along the far bank lilly bed.

Triple X's honey pot produced my second fish. This came to a different bite type with the float moving around in small bobs, rather than the one big bob followed by a strong bite. I also did not see the fish in this spot at all. This bite was the same as the one I thought was a Bluegill the night before. This spot produced another five nibbles through my visits but no further fish. The one I did catch was on the dead mouse, 20" leader and 5/0 hook.

I also tried fishing straight out to the lilly lined channel and this also produced an immediate nibble and a sighting of the fish.

Not sure if any of this has helped, but personally I prefer this more roving approach. If I get a sign immediately but no bite I may wait a couple of minutes to see if the fish returns, but so far this seems to take too long, whereas searching out another fish can have immediate results.

At my "honey hole" use an 8/0 hook, 35in leader and rotten minnows(at the red area) and 24in leader at the green area. It makes all of the difference in the world. Especially the hook size and depth.

As far as "roving" from spot to spot, peg to peg. That doesn't seem to be as fruitful as staying in the one spot and doing multiple casts. From personal experience and what I have read on the steam forums, the fish spawns and bites come from how many casts you make. I usually don't leave one single cast in place for more than 15 in game minutes, and twitch the bobber periodically with L2. This seems to induce bites and activity. You're right though, the bites usually come shortly after the cast.

k2.jpg

Edited by X-xH3aDxS4o7x-X

This is where and how I've caught all 3 Halloween Gar's.  I first started with the Green Ogre Gar and realized you needed to catch 30 so I did hoping that was it for the challenge when it said I needed 100 I kinda got deflated because it does take some time to catch these fish (sometimes) unfortunately.  I've never been able to catch them back to back, what I mean is with some of the normal fish you can catch one then cast out again and catch another one or within a short period of time catch another one for me that's never happened.  What I do is, fast forward to 9pm when I get to whatever area I'm fishing at cast out a few times if I don't get anything within 30 minutes (in game time so it would be 9:30pm for example) I'll fast forward to 10pm and so on.  Now if you don't have coins or don't wanna buy coins you'll have to wait that first fast forward out then after that if you stay between 9pm - 4am you'll be able to fast forward for free. 

Here's how and where I caught the 3:

Green Ogre Gar - North Carolina Neherrin River - Fishing Spots: Woody Enchantment and Rubble of Old Times (Caught 2 at Great Parking Job) -- I used Pigs Eye and Rotten Minnow's, #4/0 Hook, 20 Inch Line Leader.  From the Woody Enchantment spot I would stand more to the left then right in front of the 2 wood pieces that are sticking out of the water, I would try and place my bait ( 60-75 Feet ) where it would float across the middle of that or just behind it and let it just go until it gets all the way to the far right.  Sometimes I'd cast in the middle and let it float or to the right of the wood and let it float over all 3 ways I have caught the Green Ogre Gar.  From the Rubble of Old Times, you can cast past the wood right in the middle I liked to stay in the 70-80 Feet range let it float over to the left once it got a few feet past the 2 wood pieces I would reel in and try again but a lot of times there was a bite so before you just rip on it to reel in see if there is something biting it first.  The other area that I caught some at was where you normally get the Longenose Gar in that long weeded area to the right of where the wood pieces are (Still in Rubble of Old Times) I would go on the other side and just cast out 20 Feet right in front of the weeds give my line about 35-40 Feet let it float on down once it ran out of line I would reel in and try again.  2 other areas that haven't been successful but I did catch some right in front of the weeded area in Rubble of Old Times across the way is another weeded area I'd cast to the right in front of that and let it float down but I believe I only got 2 there.  The last spot was Great Parking Job basically did it the same way if I was fishing for Flathead Catfish stand to the far left and cast towards the rocks or stand on the right side with the jeep/truck on your left and the weed patch to your right cast right in the middle of that.  Again all were caught on Pigs Eye and Rotten Minnow's, #4/0 Hook, 20 Inch Line Leader.  I've spent hours catching Green Ogre Gar and have 30 of them.

Black Vampire Gar - Louisiana Quanchkin Lake - Fishing Spot: Down South -- I used Pigs Eye, #7/0 Hook, 20 Inch Line Leader.  Fish it like if you were going to fish for an Alligator Gar.  Where I was standing is to the far left of where you spawn at if you run into the bushes there's an area where you can see the Lake I was just casting to the right of the tree out there.  A few people were saying where were they and after a few cast I caught one.  Took maybe 30 Minutes real time. 

Albino Ghost Gar - Florida Everglades - Fishing Spot: Lily Pad Channel -- with the tips from X-xH3aDxS4o7x-X (Thank you by the way it was my first try even going for the Albino Ghost Gar) I was able to catch one on my first night there.  I used Pigs Eye, #7/0 Hook, 35 Inch Line Leader.  I put the bait right in front of the Lily Pads / Weeds just like in his picture where he circled in red.  I haven't spent but maybe 30 real time minutes on this and caught 1.

Again I usually don't let the time go past the 30 minutes, I know you can catch one at whatever like 9:45pm but I personally have had more success doing it the way I have been, where I don't just sit there and fish for hours in game time if I don't get a bite specially since its free (unless it's your first fast forward, then its 1 coin or wait it out) I would just skip to the next hour cast a few times nothing skip again, then if I caught one I would always skip ahead an hour because I've personally never have caught any of them back to back or in the same hour.  Hope this helps or backs up what a few others like X-xH3aDxS4o7x-X have pointed out.  By far the easiest of the 3 I think is Green Ogre Gar because I believe there is more spots to catch it, I haven't put a huge amount of time on the Black Vampire Gar or Albino Ghost Gar but was able to catch both pretty fast so I know it can be frustrating but hopefully you'll be able to at least get 1 of each which was what my goal was once I seen you need 100 of them to complete the challenge which I personally do not see how that's possible even for the Green Ogre Gar.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, TC915 said:

Thanks for replying KillerWhale, always good to hear official word, good or bad news.

I'd have to agree with H3adS4o7, and tried my best to communicate that with support lol tho not as detailed or well worded. Just the absence of glowing eyes shows something isn't right w/ La. waterway as far as Halloween Event goes. I personally now have spent more time hunting Vampire (for hat lol) than the other 2 and have 3 Albinos, 1 Vampire & 0 Ogres. 4 fish in 3½ days real time, and countless ingame days, is a lil over 1 fish a day, noway could I ever complete challenge at that catch rate & I'm fishing many hours a day in all the hotspots using same methods, setups, etc. as others. Every room I enter is everyone sharing known Vampire hotspots & setuos, yet we all sit there with no one catching anything. As stated if this is intended outcome of this event (and obviously is) it was poorly thought out in my opinion.

Anyhow good luck & tight lines too all y'all, continuing event or not. Cya on the water tomorrow.

How we are checking.

We have a total number of fish caught on the lake. And the number of gars. So we figure out the catch rate.

If you think the number of gars on quanchkin is too small - this is because not so many players on Quanchkin.  Already 180 vampire gars where caught on Quanchkin by yesterday.

If you guys need any additional tips how to catch Vampires - we are ready to help. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, X-xH3aDxS4o7x-X said:

At my "honey hole" use an 8/0 hook, 35in leader and rotten minnows(at the red area) and 24in leader at the green area. It makes all of the difference in the world. Especially the hook size and depth.

As far as "roving" from spot to spot, peg to peg. That doesn't seem to be as fruitful as staying in the one spot and doing multiple casts. From personal experience and what I have read on the steam forums, the fish spawns and bites come from how many casts you make. I usually don't leave one single cast in place for more than 15 in game minutes, and twitch the bobber periodically with L2. This seems to induce bites and activity. You're right though, the bites usually come shortly after the cast.

k2.jpg

Thanks for this ! had more joy from the green zone :o)

So, last night myself as well as 4 other players made a private room and put in some legwork on trying to figure out the Black Vampire Gar in Louisiana. This was with someone whom had already caught one. We tried his tactics first and had no luck. So we went to a spot that me and Violent Vole had tried a few days prior. I had spotted some vampire gar there swimming.

We managed over about an 8 hour real time period(5-6 in game nights) 4 Vampires for me, and 3 for Bucky.

Now before I get to the tactics used to catch them, I'm going to preface this by saying it's an EXTREMELY FRUSTRATING experience to sit there and watch them swim up to your bait and "sniff" it then swim off over and over and over and....OVER again. For every 100 "sniffs" you may get 1 bite. You'll see them constantly, but they just won't bite. Note that the 2 gar in the picture I'm including were "minnow sniffers" and didn't bite. If this was the intended designed behavior, then there is obviously NO WAY whatsoever that you would be able to catch the 90-100 needed for the reward during the event time period. I'm still giving the benefit of a doubt that they're bugged though, as them "nosing" on your bait and swimming off just doesn't seem like proper behavior.

Now on to the tactics. Swampy Open Space peg, all the way to the far right next to the rock and 2 trees. Past the line of 4 trees at the "catfish hole". 30in(76cm) leader, #8/0 hook, Rotten Minnows, 24-33ft(7-10m) out. Cast towards the middle right in between the two trees, but into open water not into the grass as you will get snagged. 27ft(8m) seems to be the sweet spot. After casting, wait until the tension has left your line and twitch your float once using L2 then wait. As I stated in the previous post. Wait just a little bit and if they're going to swim out and show interest it will more than likely be within a short period of time. If not, reel in and re-cast. I generally wait no longer than 10-15 minutes in game before re-casting, twitching using L2 once or twice in that time period if there are no signs of life.

Now, the bite will come after they "nose/sniff" your bait. They can do this for up to 10 seconds or so. Then one of two things will happen...they will stick their tail out of the water and "moon" you then swim off, or they will obilterate your bait with an enormous bite. I tried to get a video of one shooting straight up out of the water last night nose first like a torpedo, but it didn't come out. They do not nibble whatsoever like the other Gar, just ONE BIG BITE! Something as a side note...this seems to work better fishing as a group as more casts to the area seem to induce more activity and more bites. It also helps save your sanity fishing for broken fish with someone to talk to lol.

I hope this helps, as it took me 35+ hours of REAL time to figure this out. Good luck guys and TIGHT LINES!

******VERY IMPORTANT EDIT!!!*******

Edit: Don't start fishing there until after 9:00pm. Otherwise, channel catfish will steal your baitcoin baits! Best times I've noticed so far are from 10pm-11pm, and 1am-3am.

Untitled-3.jpg

FishingPlanet_20171027230509xxx.jpg

Edited by X-xH3aDxS4o7x-X
  • Like 6

39 minutes ago, X-xH3aDxS4o7x-X said:

So, last night myself as well as 4 other players made a private room and put in some legwork on trying to figure out the Black Vampire Gar in Louisiana. This was with someone whom had already caught one. We tried his tactics first and had no luck. So we went to a spot that me and Violent Vole had tried a few days prior. I had spotted some vampire gar there swimming.

We managed over about an 8 hour real time period(5-6 in game nights) 4 Vampires for me, and 3 for Bucky.

Now before I get to the tactics used to catch them, I'm going to preface this by saying it's an EXTREMELY FRUSTRATING experience to sit there and watch them swim up to your bait and "sniff" it then swim off over and over and over and....OVER again. For every 100 "sniffs" you may get 1 bite. You'll see them constantly, but they just won't bite. Not that the 2 gar in the picture I'm including were "minnow sniffers" and didn't bite. If this was the intended designed behavior, then there is obviously NO WAY whatsoever that you would be able to catch the 90-100 needed for the reward during the event time period. I'm still giving the benefit of a doubt that they're bugged though, as them "nosing" on your bait and swimming off just doesn't seem like proper behavior.

Now on to the tactics. Swampy Open Space peg, all the way to the far right next to the rock and 2 trees. Past the line of 4 trees at the "catfish hole". 30in(76cm) leader, #8/0 hook, Rotten Minnows, 24-33ft(7-10m) out. Cast towards the middle right in between the two trees, but into open water not into the grass as you will get snagged. 27ft(8m) seems to be the sweet spot. After casting, wait until the tension has left your line and twitch your float once using L2 then wait. As I stated in the previous post. Wait just a little bit and if they're going to swim out and show interest it will more than likely be within a short period of time. If not, reel in and re-cast. I generally wait no longer than 10-15 minutes in game before re-casting, twitching using L2 once or twice in that time period if there are no signs of life.

Now, the bite will come after they "nose/sniff" your bait. They can do this for up to 10 seconds or so. Then one of two things will happen...they will stick their tail out of the water and "moon" you then swim off, or they will obilterate your bait with an enormous bite. I tried to get a video of one shooting straight up out of the water last night nose first like a torpedo, but it didn't come out. They do not nibble whatsoever like the other Gar, just ONE BIG BITE! Something as a side note...this seems to work better fishing as a group as more casts to the area seem to induce more activity and more bites. It also helps save your sanity fishing for broken fish with someone to talk to lol.

I hope this helps, as it took me 35+ hours of REAL time to figure this out. Good luck guys and TIGHT LINES!

Untitled-3.jpg

FishingPlanet_20171027230509xxx.jpg

Cheers for the info. Unfortunately I wasn't high enough level to buy 8/0 hooks before my trip and the site shop doesn't sell them. I also wasted most of my Baitcoins on a crankbait that I lost after one fish, so I had to make do with the pig's eyes. Once they ran out I switched to the mice because someone in the room had one on them and they were cheaper.

1 hour ago, Killerwhale said:

How we are checking.

We have a total number of fish caught on the lake. And the number of gars. So we figure out the catch rate.

If you think the number of gars on quanchkin is too small - this is because not so many players on Quanchkin. Already 180 vampire gars where caught on Quanchkin by yesterday.

If you guys need any additional tips how to catch Vampires - we are ready to help. 

Thanks, I understand the percentage rate. Basically for every 5000 fish caught at that corresponding waterway, 26.5 will be Black Vampires, 31.5 Albino Ghosts, 87 Green Ogres. Could you say if this number is taken from all instences/rooms combined or just the 1 you are in? Also, yes of course I'm sure most would appreciate pointers on catching all fish, especially from a Mod/Dev & for special event fish. So any info would definitely be helpful, that's why we've all been sharing tactics/rig setups that were successful in this thread.  

1 hour ago, Killerwhale said:

How we are checking.

We have a total number of fish caught on the lake. And the number of gars. So we figure out the catch rate.

If you think the number of gars on quanchkin is too small - this is because not so many players on Quanchkin.  Already 180 vampire gars where caught on Quanchkin by yesterday.

Thank you for the continued timely responses. Would love to hear some more tips on locations as well as what kind of setup to catch them on for the specific species.

• Like 1

Still doesn’t explain how one person in an instance is catching gar, and no others, when everyone has thier floats in the same spot. Nor why the graphics are not loading for LA. 

This is a case study of how alienate a playerbase. Make a “real money” event, set the spawn rate to infintesimal, when complaints come in just ignore them for a week, then insist it is working as intended. 

Grade A job guys!