Olga

Developer Diaries №2. Boats

Hey anglers!

What’s up?! My name’s Yuriy and I’m a lucky guy - happy to be a game designer at Fishing Planet!  
Being only a casual amature angler, I nevertheless totally get the thrills when my line becomes tense, promising that big catch. Actually, there was one extremely emotional moment that I experienced while boat fishing for pike last fall. And yesterday while playing Fishing Planet I literally had a deja vu and experienced that same sensation, that exact tremor….as I took a kayak into some reed thickets and cast my bait...and felt the line go tight with tension. But you guys know that feeling as well as I do. 

Right from day one, we designed Fishing Planet as a fishing simulator with boats. All this time, you’ve probably been wondering why we created such huge waterways like Emerald or San Joaquin, with great open spaces that you couldn’t reach anyway. And now, finally, all that great potential is going to make sense! In order to do that we approached the matter with utmost seriousness! 

Part of the team went out and rented actual kayaks (luckily, our office is located right by the riverside;) to see and feel for ourselves what it’s like to go boat fishing from a kayak. You see, while it may be quite widespread in the USA, for us here kayak fishing was a completely new experience. Many of us were actually riding a kayak for the first time in our life. 

270A11C313C8716260116CA3DC5207CF9E5F51B9

Those few of our team members who were quite experienced, instructed the rest, and were only making meticulous notes to ensure that the in-game kayaks would behave just like the real thing and that kayak fishing dynamics and mechanics are true to life. 

5D5EF8096882D3CF52D8CAD4141E0BB69ADEB55A

As it is often the case, the creation process of one boat type alone turned out to be way more difficult than we expected. This was mostly because our programmers wanted to go the whole way and recreate fully true to life physics of the kayak’s behavior, rather than make a primitive model that would be a very distant imitation.

The kayak is propelled through the player’s rowing movements and depends on technique to not turn over or get stuck on shallow shoals. This means that it’s rather challenging to control it and that was precisely what we were after. 
In the future we plan to improve the rowing system to make kayak controls even more realistic, but even now I hope you’ll enjoy the opportunity to explore the vast open spaces of our rivers and lakes and do some boat fishing, of course! 

Here’s an insider tip for you guys: hurry up and enjoy your kayak fishing the way it is right now, because in all probability our future updates will feature new improvements to make the catch way more challenging and probably put limitations on the tackle you can use for kayak fishing. After all, it’s not so easy to make a cast with that long telescopic rod while balancing a kayak, right? 

So what’s next?

Why, motorboats, of course! So I hope you’re already looking forward to some dynamic boat speeding action!

After that will come new waterway maps and fish finders, of course! 
We also plan to broaden the scope of possible interactions with some of the boats’ separate elements. And you can definitely expect some boat fishing competitions in the future!

Believe it or not, but I’ve been waiting for all this for the last few years! 

So, what would you like to find out about in our next entry? Ask away, give us topic ideas...and we’ll make sure to give you the hottest inside scoop on what’s cookin’ in our gamedev kitchen!;) 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thank you Yuriy for the excellent insight into the development of the Kayaks.  As the Leader of the Pro-Hookers Fishing Club (PH) in Fishing Planet, I am extremely interested in the status of the in-game Club System.  

1.  Is the Club System still planned and if so, what is the status of it's development?

2.  If implemented, what are some of the things that we can expect to be included in the Club System?

3. Also, how would the transfer of our current membership into the Club System be accomplished?

Thanks again from PH for all the efforts of the team.

PH_Hilrond

• Like 4

Very excited , I was wondering if you guys were going to implement some more customization to the fishermen themselves ? Meaning hairstyles , facial hair, color , and of course outfits . At least a few different options to mix up would be nice . Another recommendation of mine is Ice Fishing . I think it would be a really cool feature to ice fish in this game and don’t think it would be to hard to add an electric or hand drill (or both) into Fish Planet . And yes fishing clubs or clans would be an amazing feature since me and my buddies all play together . One final recommendation for further updates is a Personal Pond that you can add to the game which you can add fish to , and also capture Pregnant fish and the fish can be kept in the fishkeep and brought back and released into your personal pond , or give the fish genders meaning you need a male and female , but they multiply very slowly if at all. For example a Pregnant Bass can be brought to the Personal Pond and released so that way your Personal Pond can multiply in quantity of bass . Of course the odds of catching a pregnant fish should be extremely rare , and even rarer for the harder species . Also along with the privelage of owning a personal Pond that should also be very hard to obtain .

-Thanks hopefully you guys thought my ideas were helpful , I actually have a lot more ideas but I didn’t wanna talk to much ! 

P.S. I play on PS4

-PurpleCanibus

Edited by PurpleCanibus
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, PH_Hilrond said:

Thank you Yuriy for the excellent insight into the development of the Kayaks.  As the Leader of the Pro-Hookers Fishing Club (PH) in Fishing Planet, I am extremely interested in the status of the in-game Club System.  

1.  Is the Club System still planned and if so, what is the status of it's development?

2.  If implemented, what are some of the things that we can expect to be included in the Club System?

3. Also, how would the transfer of our current membership into the Club System be accomplished?

Thanks again from PH for all the efforts of the team.

PH_Hilrond

+1 to this Hilrond

Here's some bits and pieces from my original thread, I would love your comments on some of it in your next post: 

Spoiler

Sunglasses: Me and many others have brought this up before, and I got some more suggestions on how it should be implemented.

Give us a pair of sunglasses in a DLC or in the ingame shop that we can adjust ourselves in our options.

Maybe with a few different filter options, like a blueish color, a brownish color, a yellowish color and so on. 

Customized gear: I would love to see some kind of "workshop" or whatever where we could customize our gear.

I'm thinking there could be ways for us to make small changes to our rods, reels. Switching colors, adding reflextape or glow in the dark tips for all our gear. And once you introduce a proper Club System in the game, even Club logos for your vest or pants.

I won't make a wall off text in here, but please check out the original thread. Hopefully we'll get some comment on it from the Dev Team :)

Anyway, keep up the good work, I love way you're taking it. And cant wait to see what you'll bring us next.

/PH_PUPPYPOW3R  (Scrappy)

• Like 1

On 28/10/2017 at 10:34 AM, PH_PUPPYPOW3R said:

Here's some bits and pieces from my original thread, I would love your comments on some of it in your next post: 

Original post (Reveal hidden contents)

Sunglasses: Me and many others have brought this up before, and I got some more suggestions on how it should be implemented.

Give us a pair of sunglasses in a DLC or in the ingame shop that we can adjust ourselves in our options.

Maybe with a few different filter options, like a blueish color, a brownish color, a yellowish color and so on. 

Customized gear: I would love to see some kind of "workshop" or whatever where we could customize our gear.

I'm thinking there could be ways for us to make small changes to our rods, reels. Switching colors, adding reflextape or glow in the dark tips for all our gear. And once you introduce a proper Club System in the game, even Club logos for your vest or pants.

I won't make a wall off text in here, but please check out the original thread. Hopefully we'll get some comment on it from the Dev Team :)

Anyway, keep up the good work, I love way you're taking it. And cant wait to see what you'll bring us next.

/PH_PUPPYPOW3R  (Scrappy)

Agreed more customization options for gear would be great even if it's just a simple color change.

Thanks, Yuriy! Always looking forward to new game implementations. Keeps it fresh. I'd like to see the ability to print (hard copy) an inventory of our equipment. Categorized would be ideal but any form would be appreciated. Keep up the great work!

question when will more events be put into the game with different task instread of always redoing the same events over and over again as well as will the events be at reasonable times instead of 2am and 4 am and 8 am when people go to work and school . Also when will tournaments start taking place 

Being the proud owner of the Kayaks dlc, it seems the boat physics need to be adjusted slightly. For example with a large fish on the hook and the pole facing the front of the boat, the vessels stability is off vs. the pole being at a 90 degree angle. One would think the latter would produce unstability more so than with the pole facing forward if that makes sense. In either example the vessel is prone to capsizing regardless of trying to keep the center of gravity balanced.

I'm sure it will take some time to get it dialed in. Still fun regardless and I don’t mind getting virtually wet since I’m a plumber. :)

Hi, im from Canada and I was wondering if you could make more lower level Canadian locations. I just started the game and I havent unlocked Alberta yet. Places like Bay of Quinte, Lake Simcoe, Lake of the Woods, etc. as Ontario locations. You could add that lake from Quebec with the really big island in the middle. People say its the impact crater of an asteroid. You could add mutated or alien fish. That would be really nice. Thanks

dude, what are you talking about? the bay of quinte got plenty of boats racing around. I see at least 5 high tech bass boats everytime I go fishing there. A Berkeley B1 bass tournament was hosted there once. I took part with my friend and we raced down the bay at top speed. 

Also, it doesn't have to be a massive place, it can just be a small stretch of the place. (which is still big enough for bass boats)

Just search up the places I listed, you'd be surprise at their size. 

-Dat_Fish

The customization really should be addressed. I mean, poker games on PS4 are outdoing you guys... not exactly a good thing.  But especially since the photo mode, the screen shots we make look relatively uniform in terms of facial features and body types.  There should be options so that we tend to stand out.  I personally don't care, but I know that younger people who play on PS4 expect this as a given, from games they play.  Not a heavy lift that would make a tremendous difference.

After reading the very first posting. I laughed. Only an amateur angler. Hmmm..............guess thats why the stupid combinations of lures you'd never use in real life, the unrealistic strikes from the fish, like people who never bass fished, or actually caught a Northern to know that Northern and Musky dont go back and forth bumping around a bobber like sunfish do. LOLOl  Or that you don't fish 50 lb Musky out of a kayak. LOLOLOL  There is so much about this game that is nonsense, and has stayed nonsense. The one thing that is consistant from day 1 though, is that they are making this more and more just a cash grab game to drag in dead logs with fish names on them. LOLOL

I regret to say that I am very disgusted by the current technical condition of my favorite game so far. moving around in a warehouse is a real nightmare. I think it's time to give up and take care of something more refined. shame...

Saludos desde Uruguay! Quisiera pedirles a los desarrolladores, que recreen "mundos" de Sudamerica, somos muchos los que jugamos por este lado del mundo a este gran juego y queremos poder pescar en algunos de nuestros rios y nuestras especies, POR FAVOR !!!!