Sign in to follow this  
Dennis_FP

The drag systems

Hey, anglers! Today we’ll tell you a little about the basic purpose and functioning of the key feature of most fishing reels - the drag system.

The drag system is one of the most important mechanisms in any spinning or baitcasting reel. Basically, its purpose is to allow the line to slip instead of breaking under the excess pressure from playing a large fish. This prevents from losing your terminal tackle as well as minimizes damage to the rod and reel.

There are two types of drag systems:

• Front-drag in spinning reels

cK3jI6DUDa-7YDEbcbRGo3_1YAtuvda409xZU73y

The front-drag system is much more sensitive and will react even to the slightest pressure exerted by the fish on the line. The drag system on spinning reels is located in front of the spool. In this case, drag adjustment is accomplished by turning a screw. While the front-drag system is basically a screw that secures the spool, in baitcasting reels, the drag can be adjusted by a single push of a button.

• Rear-drag in spinning reels

The rear drag is less sensitive and is more commonly used when angling with heavier tackle to handle the bigger fish, particularly when feeder fishing, trolling or using super powerful spinning rods. It allows for quick and simple adjustment right while you’re reeling in the fish.

P.S.: By the way - It would help you to fight Halloween’s Monsters

• Like 1

You guys should put this in the tutorial when people first join the game. I've met many people who have never fished in their life playing this, and this sort of info would be invaluable to them.

To this day I see level 40s holding the rod in the air and just reeling in when they have a decent fish on. When I chat to them they admit to having no idea how clutches work because they don't fish for real.

• Like 1