Manny2Play

Spinning or casting setup?

In which scenarios or why do you choose between one and the other? 

What is your preference and what difference do you find between one and the other?

Thanks in advance...
Happy New Year

Hey Manny,

In general the spinning rods are longer then casting rods, so they cast further. Spinning rods usually are suited for the lighter lures compared to the casting rods.  Casting gear has a higher line test in general, but you'll loose some casting distance.

Choosing which rod to use depends for me (and its a personal thing I guess) on A. lures I will use B. casting distance needed and C. weight of target fish.

If i need to cast far, light lures and smaller fish ill go for a spinning rod. For heavy lures, big fish and long casting distance i would use a spinning rod as well (the toprange rods can handle heavy lures). In a situation where I use heavy lures for big fish and I dont need to cast far I would go for a casting rod.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Manny2Play said:

In which scenarios or why do you choose between one and the other? 

What is your preference and what difference do you find between one and the other?

Thanks in advance...
Happy New Year

Keep in mind that the game offers a wide array of uses for the spinning reels so you can switch the reels between different fishing types so different rods. Casting reels can be used on casting rods, which cannot be used for bottom fishing or float fishing, only casting lures a relatively short distance. Now, with the larger spinning gear, the heaviest line you can get will work on those as well since there's nothing heavier that exceeds the best spinning reel drag. For these reasons, if I had to choose one, I would choose the spinning reel. There's no reason to limit yourself to short distance rods, however in areas such as Michigan and Alaska where long casts aren't required for most species, casting gear is popular perhaps due to the retrieve ratio. Most of the videos I've seen regarding stop and go retrieve have involved a casting reel. 

• Like 1