michamvk

Marker buoys not displayed in Linux

Dear developers,

Please see  the bug report below:

1 Username: michamvk

2  Platform (PS4, Steam) Steam (Linux)

3  Date when the issue was encountered:  Not a specific date or patch moment the issue encountered

4  Problem description: When adding a marker buoy to the map, the marker is only placed on map but not in the game world, I tried the markers on another device but results are the same.

--> Interesting note:  In Windows the marker buoys are displayed, but there the game is not playable for me due to random crashes. So it looks the game is Linux Specific.

5   In-game equipment settings (if you experience any technical issues with rods, lures etc) :  not applicable

Hopefully you can check this out since it is easily to reproduce.

Best regards from a fishing planet fan.

• Like 1

I just want to add I have experienced the same issue. I can not see markers in game on linux either. I can not see lil pads as well in game on linux. all this works on a different hard drive which has windows installed.

I have a similar problem, installed it with Steam, it works on Windows, on Linux the buoys are ...selective. I can see two of four, as in, two as visible and two are not.

I wonder why that is.

All four should be displayed here, I took it from this angle because it shows that they are displayed in the far distance, but not close (ther should be one right ahead of my avatar)

QVOohk6.jpg

Greetings.

Any update on this? It's making things very difficult on Linux and aside from this, game seems to run way more stable than windows, at least for my pc. ( No crashes with the minimap on Linux)

Thanks in advance for any reply.

• Like 1

I'd also like to know if there's been any progress on this. As the screenshot above shows I find some buoys show and some don't. At Emerald Lake one of the buoy's shows when I roll up one side with a Kayak, but not when I had the Kayak on the other side of the buoy, nor the shore. (And I was close to the buoy)

I also noticed this at other lakes where when I look straight on I don't see a buoy, but I might see it from another angle/spot.

Edited by Charles
  • Thanks 1

I agree with everything that was written above about marker buoys and random weeds sometimes being invisible. Although I image there should have been at least an answer to this problem in the past year if anyone was working on it.

I haven't tried this at other lakes yet, but I found something very interesting with the "invisible buoys on Linux" while fishing in Alberta the past couple of days. I found a way in Alberta to see all the buoys I placed. I even see the buoys if I exit the game and log back in (while still at the Alaska Lake). If you're running Linux I encourage you to try this out in Alberta (and other lakes).

alberta_nomarkers.thumb.jpg.ca67bd099c41aab5044c0f2990899d8f.jpg

I recently bought I Kayak. I'm not sure if this works if you just rent a Kayak (in fact I expect it will not), but it probably will work if you buy a boat. I placed a bunch of markers in Alberta, but couldn't see most of them. I rowed out to the left-most campfire, then I rowed back along the left side where all the ice is. As I rowed my markers became visible. It's worth mentioning that if I position the kayak at a certain angle I won't see the markers, but sticking to the left side reveals them.

alberta_markers_visible.thumb.jpg.78c7a6965e0397361584671816e14a16.jpg

I rowed back into the Kayak docking area and hopped on the dock and my markers were all still visible.

The markers disappeared again if I got in the Kayak and rowed to the right hand side.

The markers also disappeared if I opened the map and "jumped" to the Pike spot.

I believe the markers are all there, but some light-logic is getting applied to that they don't appear. It's interesting that taking a boat/kayak out and returning in a particular fashion can cause them to show up. I hope this helps the developers as well as anyone else experiencing this problem.

Edited by Charles

Just as a follow up, this also worked for me at Emerald Lake (revealing the "invisible buoys on Linux":

With your purchased Kayak row across to the other side, row left, and then row back in to the left side of the doc.
20200703081047_1.thumb.jpg.c6fa9af10e6b251701b9368c1358fecd.jpg

It's difficult to see the buoy here because of the fog, but it's off to the left near the lillipads. It seems like this might work any place you can take a kayak/boat. I didn't try this the few times I rented a kayak, so I can't say whether this works if you rent a kayak. (Not having to rent every time is pretty nice).

One more update on this bug. It seems that you don't even need to go out very far in a kayak. I was at Falcon Lake earlier and just did a very small circle (turning left) and coming back in. All my marker buoys were suddenly visible. It's a weird fix, but it seems to work at every lake I've tried it at (where I could use a kayak/boat). It's not a permanent fix, but at least it's something Linux users can do to get by the no buoy bug.

Edited by Charles

For me using Proton 5.0 as compatibility library is working so far. It will use more resources and it will fix the  resolution to 1680x1050.

But for me it's a good trade off for having all buoys and weed textures visible.

To do so:
-> Go to Properties of the game
-> Check the box "Force the use of a specific Steam Play compatibility tool"
-> select "Proton 5.0-9"
-> wait until updates (~1.5 GB) are installed and start the game

Bildschirmfoto vom 2020-07-08 08-20-30.png

• Like 1

18 hours ago, GoodChiller said:

For me using Proton 5.0 as compatibility library is working so far. It will use more resources and it will fix the  resolution to 1680x1050.

But for me it's a good trade off for having all buoys and weed textures visible.

To do so:
-> Go to Properties of the game
-> Check the box "Force the use of a specific Steam Play compatibility tool"
-> select "Proton 5.0-9"
-> wait until updates (~1.5 GB) are installed and start the game

Thank you GoodChiller, trying it now. Thanks for providing clear instructions. I normally play at 1920x1080 (I have dual screens but it defaults to 1 screen) but this sounds like a good trade off. I have an older card NVidia GTX 650 Ti Boost. I haven't looked into Proton I think because I was always associating it with newer hardware since a lot of the videos are here's proton running on a 2080 Ti.

I think this will help a lot of people, so again Thank you!

Hi All,

It is a time ago I have started this topic, this week I have tried again to start fishing using Linux (Manjaro) as operating system.

It looks the Marker Buoys are displayed now fine in different locations what is really great.

I don't have used Proton but running the game Native on my AMD A8-3850 (APU) with integrated graphics adapter and have to say it is running perfect!

For who is interested from (GLXINFO) =  OpenGL version string: 3.1 Mesa 20.2.2

Good fishing all!

• Like 1

I tried it as well with manjaro, on a 1650 Super, works. On debian buster it wouldn't. I think it's the newer nvidia drivers, seemed to be a shaders problem anyway.

The performance of the linux client though leaves a lot to be desired compared to the windows client.