Sign in to follow this  
WhiskerFisher

Back to FP after a break... update complaint, plus an issue equipping rod

Hi all! Been ages plus a day or two since I lasted posted or played FP. Some of you may know that I have god awful internet and anytime there's an update or patch (or heaven forbid a PS4 + an FP update) it takes ages for me to download it. I've been so busy with a new job that games kinda took a back seat for a while until now that I have settled a bit.

So the last update was apparently the euro update, which seemed cool when I looked into it a few days ago. Watched a few vids on YT even. Finally got around to downloading the new update and checking it out a bit. It seems cool, but I can't really utilize any of the new tackles/rods given they are above my level. Bummer. Speaking of level, why did we raise the max to 50? It took a long time for me to get to level 31, and here I was thinking I was close to being at 40 so I could get/use anything I want. That's a bit irritating to me... not it's gonna be twice as hard to get the best gear with how long it takes to level up in these higher levels.

However, I have caught wind that cali is a great place for money and exp fishing for white sturgeon. It's something I have never caught on the game, and they look pretty tough to catch. None of my current (mostly bass) gear would be a match for them. So looking through the rods/reels available to me, I bought a combo rod/reel rated for I think 23 lb. line and 22 lb. of drag, figured that would give me a chance... I was careful to make sure the rod showed icons for float and lure fishing, and it did. Got a Loki 7'7" rod which showed both icons, figured I'd be good with it. But when I went to equip a float and hook I noticed there was no ability to equip either one. It's acting like it's purely a lure rod, but that is not what it says in the store. It clearly shows a float rigging icon. So I don't understand why I am unable to equip and float or hook....

Given I just wasted about 17k on the rod, what else can I use to successfully catch sturgeon without just a ridiculous amount of trouble at my level (31)?

Thanks, and good to be back! I've been getting reacquainted to the basics the last few days and likely won't mess with the new stuff until I level up quite a bit.

Edit: realized what I did was bought the rod close to the one I was originally looking at... lol! Anyway, last question is still valid as far as setup goes

Edited by WhiskerFisher

you can use bottom rods as well as float for the sturgeon and yes the loki is a lure rod only. The sturgeon in cali are bigger now and i use a brutus i cant remember what lvl u need for a brutus but your best bet is  a dl to get the gear u need for cali  maybe the spring cats pack to get the float rods . 

Welcome back Whisker, glad to hear you're fishing again! Here's a couple of threads that might help you with Cali;

Use spawn sacs and a #3/0 hook for the sturgeon at 10" deep if I remember right. I'm not sure if you can get a bottom rod at lvl 31 or not, but they seemed to work better for me, the mega chuber with a mega tank reel will get good xp without taking all day to reel them in.

If you need any help let me know, I'm going to Germany tonight but I can stop in Cali first and send you some markers if you want.

Well it's a moot point to go for sturgeon... I thought it 800 credits/game money to purchase cali fishery... nope, it's 800 baitcoins. I don't have that much. Sigh. Just gotta level up more... Looks like bottom fishing starts at level 34, along with access to california lol. Have 2 and a half levels before I can do either one.

19 minutes ago, WhiskerFisher said:

Well it's a moot point to go for sturgeon... I thought it 800 credits/game money to purchase cali fishery... nope, it's 800 baitcoins. I don't have that much. Sigh. Just gotta level up more... Looks like bottom fishing starts at level 34, along with access to california lol. Have 2 and a half levels before I can do either one.

Michagan cash and xp there also. Fish nights for cats and sturgeon good xp and cash free to skip nights. Then if you want to get xp with less cash ( unless you mix with pike) go for all the muski types then hop back on the nights for a bit to save you baitcoins for skipping days. Might need the odd baitcoin if your eager and have a full net. But michaga is good many high level players are still going there, some pick there over cali

• Like 1

Yeah I've heard good things about michigan, but yet to go there. Likely from travel/license fees. Don't know the spots, and I only have a 154 lb keepnet so it's a gamble to go to those kinds of places.

• Thanks 1

U will still make good money there even if you have to sit hittin pike take loads of shiners with you tho and if you do go for cats and sturgeon take loads of cutbait. How much is max weight of single fish your net will hold

• Like 1

12 hours ago, kylerobz said:

Michagan cash and xp there also. Fish nights for cats and sturgeon good xp and cash free to skip nights. Then if you want to get xp with less cash ( unless you mix with pike) go for all the muski types then hop back on the nights for a bit to save you baitcoins for skipping days. Might need the odd baitcoin if your eager and have a full net. But michaga is good many high level players are still going there, some pick there over cali

5am-9am cloudy is very good for sturgeon. Usually cast 2 or 3 spots towards the wooden posts then during the night session, another 3 spots around and close to the island.

On 3/31/2019 at 2:18 PM, WhiskerFisher said:

Looks like bottom fishing starts at level 34, along with access to california

The 330 lb. keepnet also unlocks at level 34. I would buy that first when you get to 34 because Kyle makes a good point about your max single fish weight limit. If yours has the 22 lb. max, I wouldn't go to Michigan yet (maybe bass in Florida), but if it's the 66 lb. one you can go and skip from night to night catching cats and sturgeon (they're both in the same area). If you go for pike your net will fill up too fast and you'll have to spend baitcoins to skip from day to day instead of nights where it's free after spending one baitcoin for the first night skip.

Duck Mussel meat also works really well for the cats and sturgeon and is a lot cheaper than the large cutbait. You'll have to release the bigger uni cats of course, but it'll only take 7 fish at the very most to fill your net for around $5K per night with the 154 net. I know it doesn't sound like much, but when you see how fast your filling up and skipping to the next night, it won't take long to start adding up and if you have enough bait you can fly through the 30 day challenge while you're at it for the 2 oz. X-Series medium spoon.

Note: You will need a kayak for the cats as well, but if you don't own one yet you'll only have to rent it for the first day to get to the floating dock. Once you're out there I don't think you have to rent it again, as long as you stay on the dock.

• Confused 1

I’m at the same level, 31. When you guys say it’s free to skip nights, you mean “time forward” correct?  You still have to pay the next game day’s/night stay and empty your net?

The 22/154 net is restrictive.  But I went up 6 levels in 7 game days,  and would add $12k each game day catching redband and rainbow trout fishing in Oregon.  Whisker, your current 8 lb equipment would be perfect for Oregon.  Plus it’s only $900 to advance each day.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Spankster23 said:

I’m at the same level, 31. When you guys say it’s free to skip nights, you mean “time forward” correct?  You still have to pay the next game day’s/night stay and empty your net?

The 22/154 net is restrictive.  But I went up 6 levels in 7 game days,  and would add $12k each game day catching redband and rainbow trout fishing in Oregon.  Whisker, your current 8 lb equipment would be perfect for Oregon.  Plus it’s only $900 to advance each day.

Free to skip night without paying bait coins other wise unless you plan to fish as long as cooldown timer is on u will need a bait coin to refresh skip time which if your fillin a net within 1 real time hour you will use alot of baitcoins . Always have to pay for next day the credits to stay but credit are earnt easy and can earn constantly unlike the bait coins

Also keep in mind, that ALL your equipment that you take with you on your trip that can be repaired (logo with wrench), will suffer  "daily damage".

This means that every time you pass 4:59 to 5:00 am, game will ask you if you want to continue @ this location or f you want to go home. Its here where ALL your equipment suffer this daily damage and it is based on a % of the total value (think its around 3 days or less -1% )