What can I do to improve?

Here is some information from the Developer Diaries and Official Q&A and FAQs forums, hope it helps.

3Y2RIHf0SbHndACwLVCU5wGYeNX0SQH9FNVkbo-B

and

The Retrieve

• To perform a Lift and Drop retrieve, press the left and right mouse buttons at the same time for the same duration. Approximately one second.

• To perform a Stop and Go retrieve, reel in approximately three to five meters of line, stop for a couple of seconds and repeat the process.

• To perform a Twitch retrieve, reel in continuously while tapping the right mouse button to cause small jerks in the line.

• Straight retrieves are just that. A retrieve where you steadily reel in without performing any other actions. There are two variants, a slow one and a normal one.

• Take note that a lure's weight will affect the speed required to do a proper retrieve. Heavier lures will require a faster retrieve as do lures that are further away. To adjust your speed, use scroll wheel up or down to select between four different speeds and reverse.  

• Like 4

Pretty awesome response as always @Carpman99

The spin fishing aspect of the game can be hard to explain, but now you got the basics.

From my experience, it all comes down to practice. I'm playing this game for a year now, and I'm still learning - as are all of us. It can be hard in the beginning, especially if you're not a fisherman in real life, and don't know much about fish behavior, spinning techniques, etc. But don't give up too early! The more you try it, the better you'll get. Experiment and adapt.

For starters, the straight slow and straight are probably the easiest to do, and should get you the first couple of fish. It's not the best technique in terms of attracting fish (so you'll probably have to do more casts), but it's probably the easiest. Assuming you're using the right hook size for the fish, it also reduces the risk of fish not taking the bait properly. Most of the time they'll just hook themselves, and you won't even have to strike the fish to get them on the hook.

Just reel in your lure constantly on speed 1 or 2. If it reaches the surface, lower your reeling speed or stop for a while, and let it sink again. If it doesn't come off the ground at all, try increasing your reeling speed. Experiment with different lure weights and reeling speeds. If you use a nicely balanced setup and get it down right, the lure will just stay at the same height, and come in at a straight line.

From there, the next thing to learn would probably be the stop & go. It's a little harder to do, but it's also a little better in terms of getting the fish's attention. Depending on the weight of your lure and the recovery of your reel, you'll have to use a reeling speed anywhere between 1, 2, or even 3 for the heavier lures. Try starting out with a reeling speed of 2. Reel in your lure for a second or two, then stop reeling for a second. You'll see the nose of your lure go down in the top-right corner of your screen. Once it falls down, start reeling again.
Again, if your lure comes up to the surface too quickly, try lowering your reeling speed to 1, or just do shorter reels - and / or longer stops. If it doesn't come off the ground, try increasing your reeling speed, and / or do longer reels. If your lure is pretty heavy, it will sink to the bottom faster, which calls for shorter stops, and / or longer reels. If it is pretty light, it's going to sink pretty slowly, and come up pretty quick. Which calls for less reeling speed, shorter reels, and / or longer stops.

Keep an eye on the top-right corner of your screen. It should display the retrieve you're doing, with up to three dots next to it. The more dots you get, the better you're doing it. Try to get the right timing down, and you'll see the bite rate improve.

In contrast to the straight slow and straight retrieve, fish will not always hook themselves if you're doing a stop & go. If you see a fish going for your lure, you'll have to make sure to keep the line tension up by continuing to reel in, and then set the hook with L2 or right mouse button. This also takes some practice.

For the first couple of levels, the stop & go will be more than sufficient to fill your net and level up. I wouldn't really bother with the other techniques until you are confident with your stop & go, and reach level 24 or so. The straight and straight low should get you your first bass in Texas, the stop & go should get you pike and walleye in New York, as well as lots and lots of trout in Oregon. Then, when you move to Florida, you should really try some twitching and / or lift & drop. The bass love this retrieve, as it's a pretty aggressive fish, and therefore likes more aggressive lure movement.

Which brings me to the last thing I wanted to add: keep in mind that different fish like different lures, different retrieves, and are sitting not only at different spots, but also at different water levels. This is not only important when choosing the depth while bobber fishing, but also when choosing the right retrieve at the right water levels in spin fishing.

Like I said, I'm not a real fisherman, and everything I know is only based on the game. So people may correct me if I'm wrong. But trout are generally pretty shy, and like slow, steady lure movements. Which is why the stop & go will probably be the most successful retrieve fishing for trout. Also, they generally sit at the bottom of the lake, so try to keep your lure pretty close to the ground when doing the stop & go.

Bass on the other hand are pretty aggressive, which is why the twitching (or lift & drop) will probably give you the best results. Try to keep your lure somewhere in the mid-water, maybe even lower, and do some twitching there. They usually smash the bait like crazy, and won't give you much of a problem setting the hook.

When it comes to choosing the right retrieve, walleye is kind of a mixture between the bass and the trout. They also like to sit at the bottom, but they're not as shy as the trout. Which is why I generally use stop & go, but I do it a bit quicker than for the trout. Which means higher reeling speed, shorter "go's" as well as shorter "stops". That makes your lure behave a bit more aggressive, almost like the twitching, and they seem to like that a lot. Also, if you do it right, they'll sometimes hook themselves when your lure is dropping, and you start reeling again.

I'm sorry for the long-ass post, but I really wanted to share some thoughts behind the different techniques, as I also struggled with spin-fishing in the beginning. I would've included a YouTube-video about different techniques, but most of them focus more on spots, weather, and the types of lures than getting the right technique down. Some of them are only available in german, some of them are pretty old.

Maybe this one is a good compromise, as it's not too old. Feel free to jump straight to the 25 minute mark.

I hope this helps with catching your first couple of fish with your spinning gear. Feel free to ask away if anything's unclear. Tight lines!

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

Hi all. I'm getting a lot of strikes but I am out of options. I can't seem to hook a Bass that picks up the lure and swims with it. I seem to have tried everything. I do real world Bass fishing and that's one of the most sure ways to hook up when it softly takes bait and swims off to side. Rod forward, reel the slack and strike opposite way. 

In the game I have not once managed a hook up. The lure just comes out. 

Can someone please, please enlighten me as to how a hookup is secured this way. 

So the scenario would be I'd perhaps do Twitch and I'll see the quick hit, then the Bass took it and swims off to let's say right of the screen. 

How do I set the hook without just pulling it out and it swims off?

Thanks all.