garys553

Catfish tackle advice/suggestions

I am level 17 which probably means I shouldn't have made such a novice mistake as I just did by having a fish break my rod on the Mudwater River while night fishing for Catfish.  So, having said all that I need some good suggestions for Catfish tackle that will prevent any rodbreaks/mishaps in the future.  Everything from Hooks, Bobber (if any), rods & reel.  I thank you in advance.

It might help if you provided the setup you were using (rod, reel, line, etc). A possible setup would be a Nero 390 (lvl15) $3870 rod, a FeederForcer 6000 (lvl17) $6300, Fluoro 0.28mm 300m line (lvl17) $420, a chubby bobber $50 and some 1/0 - 3/0 hooks ($150 pack of 10 ). Get some baits like small cutbaits, petfood, or even cheese. Set the float at max depth. Good luck. 

So i was looking thru, and seen this thread about catfishing. Im level 15 and testing the waters with catfishing at Lone Star. my current setup is as follows

Rod : CreekPro 9'10 

Reel : WinCast 2500

Line Flouro .008

Tackle : 1x 1/2 oz Sinker, 1x mono Leader .005, 1x X-series Hook #4/0

Bait : Crickets , Small Cutbait, Grasshoppers.

I'm fishing on the dam road side of the pier, is there soemthing i'm doing incorrectly, or am missing? Something i can upgrade to help with catching?

The size of the hook might be too big for the catfish there. Suggest somewhere between #2 - 2/0 instead.  Catfish tend to hang around the deeper areas (holes), consult your map and try to target those areas. Good Luck.

• Like 1

So, something like the MagFin Hook #2/0 octopus hook? (lvl 10 at $150)

does the quiver tip make a big difference? 

when you deeper areas / holes, when looking at the tablet map, what should i look for on that to say its a deeper hole?

Edited by BeastVamps

hace 15 minutos, BeastVamps dijo:

when you deeper areas / holes, when looking at the tablet map, what should i look for on that to say its a deeper hole?

the darkest places are usually the deepest