Rodrigoskybox

Crankbait dont work properly

I think the issue being raised is when fishing somewhere with current the crankbait hovers in place and no longer floats back to the surface as they used to. (I also thought that this change had occurred quite some time ago.)

• Like 2

On 7/12/2019 at 2:20 AM, Carpman99 said:

I think the issue being raised is when fishing somewhere with current the crankbait hovers in place and no longer floats back to the surface as they used to. (I also thought that this change had occurred quite some time ago.)

correct,,, in alberta is not the same and in italy

On 7/12/2019 at 3:20 AM, Carpman99 said:

Yeah I noticed this, too. And did some testing.. Seems to me, the crankbaits (as well as other wobblers like the triple runner etc.) now "gain speed". The faster you reel them in, the more speed they gain. So even after you stop reeling in, the crankbait still "digs" itself down into the water. You'll also notice that you still have some line tension going on after you stop reeling. Which means that the crank is still moving downwards. Depending on your retrieve speed (recovery + reel speed setting), it takes up to 4 or so seconds for your crank to finally stop moving, and the line to loose tension again. Once the line tension is completely gone, you'll notice that the crankbait "levitates" for a split second, and then drifts up to the surface again - like it used to.

I don't know if this is intentional, or even realistic, but that's what it feels like to me. From the point where you stop reeling and your crank is still moving downwards, all the way to the point where it's "levitating", and even when it starts to drift upwards, you always have a chance of a fish biting it. Especially in Alberta, fishing for atlantic salmon, when you reel in your crank to the 32-28m mark (which seems to be one of the hotspots), stop reeling, let it go down by itself, and levitate a little, that seems to be the moment with the highest chance of a fish biting to me.

Feel free to give this a try, and do some testing on your own. I don't know if this "speed gaining feature" existed before, and they just increased the value, or if it's new. But I guess that's the way it works now. It's still possible to let the crank drift up again - it just takes more time, depending on your previous reeling speed. Which calls for longer stops, and an overall slower retrieve. Furthermore, this is even more noticeable if you're using a reel with a high recovery (like I now use the Kraken instead of the Thunderspin on my Zeus, to get closer to the max test).

• Like 1