Sign in to follow this  
J.Mitchell WV

Post A Big Fish you landed on Light Tackle

Haven't posted in a while. Couldn't contain myself with this one, had to show it off lol. Fooling around in Alaska with light tackle and landed this jewel. Jigwinner 8'10" SE w/Espira 3500SE, 12lb. mono. Landed one earlier in the day that was 5lbs. lighter. My biggest until this was a 25lb. Gar I caught by accident at Quanchin during the Dancing With Pike Comp.1917514276_UniChum.thumb.jpg.e498d153519cb9d6fe2d23a37f0b32ac.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Jigwinner is a beast exactly the same happened to me a while back in dancing with pike 40lb gar. The most anoying so far is the trophy grass carp that tends to swipe the bait in bream dreams on the laker pro almost every time my advice is take spare feeder/sinker and cut your line

• Like 2

On 7/23/2019 at 1:43 PM, J.Mitchell WV said:

Haven't posted in a while. Couldn't contain myself with this one, had to show it off lol. Fooling around in Alaska with light tackle and landed this jewel. Jigwinner 8'10" SE w/Espira 3500SE, 12lb. mono. Landed one earlier in the day that was 5lbs. lighter.

Since I couldn't see you from where I was, when you caught the first one I thought you had left the room and I missed it because you hadn't recorded a fish for quite a while. Checked the chat box and tablet, nope, he's still here, must have gone afk for some reason lol. When I looked at the chat box it was at least 20 minutes since you're last fish. Did you happen to notice how long it took to bring either one of them in? Just curious.

To be honest, it wasn't very long at all. The water is quite shallow in that area, and there's not a lot of room for them to "run" on you. Also they were both caught within 50 or 60 feet of the bank, which means I didn't have a lot of line to take up. They also have a tendency to want to run toward bank which is a big help lol. 

On another note, I've been up there for a few days now, mostly experimenting and seeing what's the best bang for your buck "XP" wise, and trying alots of different lures. A couple of things I found out, that the 4" Blue Crawl works great for Sockeye and Bull Trout. The 1/2 oz. X-Series Bass Spinner...flat out dominates the Dolly Varden, and will yield a number of Bull Trout also. The 5" Glow Worm will catch you bunch of Chinooks and Chum at night. And I found a honey hole in Michigan, no matter what the weather, any time from 9PM to Sunrise, you can absolutely wear out the Brown Trout on the 8' 3/0 Glow Crank Bait. Almost every single cast. And I'm talking 6-8lbers. On light gear that will give about 250xp per fish. Doesn't seem like much when a big Musky or Pike will give you a 1000+, but your not going to catch those on every cast, or everyother cast. Sockeye and Bull Trout are about the same also. Bull Trout a little harder to catch,  but you can make a good run with Sockeye durning peak times. Well enough for now, back to work.

• Like 1

On ‎7‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 6:43 PM, J.Mitchell WV said:

Haven't posted in a while. Couldn't contain myself with this one, had to show it off lol. Fooling around in Alaska with light tackle and landed this jewel. Jigwinner 8'10" SE w/Espira 3500SE, 12lb. mono. Landed one earlier in the day that was 5lbs. lighter. My biggest until this was a 25lb. Gar I caught by accident at Quanchin during the Dancing With Pike Comp.1917514276_UniChum.thumb.jpg.e498d153519cb9d6fe2d23a37f0b32ac.jpg

I did almost exactly the same last night as I forgot to equip a different rod after, fruitlessly, chasing the unique sauger in NY for over a week. First cast using a very similar set up but with a 3" glow worm got me a 32lb uni chum. I thought that I may as well try it again &, 2 or 3 casts later, I got a uni Dolly Varden.

• Like 1