Sign in to follow this  
Violentvole

Topwater fun

These things are amazing! Caught on all 4 types now ( walkers, frogs, poppers, popper frogs ) and the fish love them.

Just as hilarious and exciting as doing it for real, and some of the follows, takes and misses actually have me making the same noises I do while using them for real, as well as making me laugh like hell!

Best fish on a topwater so far - 38lb muskie. And I just bagged a 35lb alligator gar on a popper too. Awesome fun and a superb addition devs, I salute you!

Edit: Just had a 35lb uni snook on a popper too while trying for a tarpon. Frustratingly, I can only cast the popper to 163 feet and the tarpon are only found at 150+ feet, so not much space to work with. But fun, such fun ;-)

Edited by Violentvole
  • Like 2

Sorry for double post but here's what I have so far. Confirmed fish that will take topwaters are:

Pike,

Muskie,

Alligator gar,

Florida gar,

LM bass,

Peacock bass,

White bass,

Chain pickerel,

Snook.

I tried for tarpon for a while but only having 13 feet of effective retrieve hurts. I also tried them on trout with just one take, and that may have been a SMB. I'm assuming the longnose gar will take them but I'll have to test that tomorrow now.

Sent Jim a few SS earlier, so if he isn't too hungover on Sunday maybe he could post them ( I don't own a computer ).

If anyone has caught any other species on topwaters, please let me know. I'm curious about striped bass in Cali in particular. I also have a funny feeling salmon in Alaska may go for them given their penchant for grabbing a crankbait that's just floating static on the surface, and the Sockeyes' love of 3' cranks. Again, stuff for tomorrow.

Tight lines all.

• Like 2

VN of ya to compile the list ViolentV, you can add Atlantic Salmon to it. I was doing a lil testing at White Moose for the Christmas Giants tournament & had one hit the red & yellow popper; got called away before I could really test so could've just been a one time fluke lol but got a 10lb'r none the less.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, TC915 said:

VN of ya to compile the list ViolentV, you can add Atlantic Salmon to it. I was doing a lil testing at White Moose for the Christmas Giants tournament & had one hit the red & yellow popper; got called away before I could really test so could've just been a one time fluke lol but got a 10lb'r none the less.

Thank you! I tried them there too but not a sniff, even around the pike tree. Also lost my kayak lol.

I'll go test tomorrow, but please don't think I'm doubting you. I accept your word as gospel dude.

• Like 1

You're welcome brother. Yea we all know how fickle those fishies can be lol, what hits for one guy can produce a big ole goose egg for another. Decided to hop on for a sec to test again before washing up & caught 4 back to back (9.5-13.4 lbs) on left side of dock, so not looking much like a fluke now, tho not prime specimens either lol. Also tried by pike tree & caught a 5.5lb N. Pike; Btw if it helps it was on mid day peak activity, I'll have to recheck vid for exact weather.    

• Like 1

So far we have:

Pike,

Muskie/Tiger muskie,

Alligator/Florida/Longnose gar,

LM/Peacock/White/Spotted/SM bass,

Chain pickerel,

Snook,

Red drum, 

Atlantic/Chinook salmon,

Bowfin,

Steelhead,

Yellow perch (!).

I had a uni perch and a few trophies, so no fluke. Tried for ages for trout, walleye and freshwater drum with no joy.

Edit: Could not get a Striped bass on any of the surface lures.

Moving on to Alaska.

Edited by Violentvole
Added species
  • Like 1

Update.

Pike,

Muskie/Tiger muskie,

LM/Peacock/White/Spotted/SM bass,

Chain pickerel,

Snook,

Red drum, 

Atlantic/Chinook/Pink/Sockeye/Chum salmon,

Bowfin,

Steelhead,

Yellow perch,

Dolly Varden.

I tried and tried for Coho and Bull trout. The Bull trout is tricky due to the current where they live.

All of the above have been caught on surface lures, but, that doesn't mean they'll all take them all. Salmon have no interest in walkers, frogs or frog poppers, SMBs love frogs but ignore poppers and walkers, frog poppers are universally disliked by all but pike it seems. Retrieve plays a part too, had so many takes after stopping the retrieve it's unbelievable, even right next to the boat.

I'll keep working on striped bass, bull trout, walleye etc, suppose I better try sauger at some point too. And I will get me a tarpon off the top.

• Like 3

V.V., while fishing Florida this weekend, I had great success with the frog poppers. Both LMB & Peacocks. Being that they only ones I have are #3/0, and relatively a smaller bait, therefore imo produce a smaller fish, I prefer the #4/0 poppers for larger fish. What surprised me, as we spoke of this weekend, was that Red Drum & Bowfin will take a popper. The Red Drum especially. I managed a Uni LMB on the #4/0 popper. A small uni, but a uni never the less.  Had no trouble filling my keep net while strictly fishing poppers.

I wanted to edit this post and elaborate a bit. While the bass at Ifinity Tunnels were quite eager to take the frog popper, I had a more difficult time with big popper. The bass at Salty Flats seemed to prefer the larger popper over the frog popper, and at Lilly Pad, they took both quite eagerly. But hell, you could throw a stick with a hook on at Lilly Pad and catch bass lol.

Uni LM popper.jpg

Drum popper.jpg

Bowfin popper.jpg

Edited by J.Mitchell WV
  • Like 2

Hey bud, I wasn't saying that the frog popper didn't work, just that it seemed to be the least liked. By the time I got to Florida I'd pretty much stopped using it so I didn't try it there. The large popper worked just fine on the majority of species, and like yourself I had a uni LMB. Both LMB and SMB loved the weedless frog, while I had zero interest from salmon on walkers.

I just wanted to see which fish would react to surface baits, I didn't have the time or inclination to try all 4 types on each species so as a result the majority of mine were on the large popper.

I think the biggest surprises for me were the uni yellow perch, your bowfin and the fact I couldn't tempt a striped bass on any of the lures.

I'll keep working on those stripers and a few other species, but thanks for all your input and screenshots dude. You saved me a lot of time and money ( already spent over 60 grand on travels and repairs lol ).

I'm going to finish up at Michigan this evening and head to Alaska and see if I can catch a few Pink Salmon unless you already gave it a shot. Did you go up into taming the Kaniq peg and try for them? I'm sure you did. And BTW, I'm having no luck with the Perch. Must not be holding my right or something lol. And also I wanted to let you know the status of those screen shots you sent me. I haven't figured out a way on how to save them to my screenshot and image folder, thus not allowing me to dowload or upload them. Just thought I'd let you know.

Yep I had some Pinks mate, only salmon I couldn't get was a Coho so I'll head back there later for another shot. Currently catching Bowfin off the top on Quanchkin ;-)

As for the perch, I had the uni off the lighthouse along with a trophy or two, also had trophies in the clear muskie spot ( gotta get those off the top yet too ) so it definitely wasn't a fluke. Only done it once in real life, that was a fluke lol.

I didn't try the Clear Muskie spot, only the Lighthouse. Ima check that out the evening.I still can't get a Muskie to hit top water. I sat in pike alley fishing the back left hand corner for an hour yesterday and never got a strike. And it was prime time. I can tell you one thing though. Not related to this post, but I had more fun Saturday fishing for Walleye in the kayak just out aways from the Fairy Tale Dock, than I have in a while. In maybe 3 - 4 hours game time, I counted em' up,  I had 50 walleyes. 20 were trophies, and the one Uni I showed you.

• Like 1

I've had loads of muskie hit topwaters in that corner mate, biggest so far that 38lber the other night. I want bigger lol.

Probs see you on Mich later, gotta get a clear muskie off the top and then I'm finished on there unless I feel sadistic enough to try for a walleye or drum off the top again..

Good Deal. I've yet to try the Clear Muskie site. I should be there around 4:00 pm EST. Wonder why the Red Drum will hit topwater, and not the Freshwater Drum? Let's investigate, shall we lol. As for the walleye, it might be too deep at Fairy Tale to get em' up off the bottom. Might have a chance to grab one by accident elsewhere. Were do you thing would be a good place?

Pike,

Muskie/Tiger/Clear muskie,

LM/Peacock/White/Spotted/SM/Striped bass,

Chain/Grass/Redfin pickerel,

Snook,

Red drum, 

Atlantic/Chinook/Pink/Sockeye/Chum salmon,

Bowfin,

Steelhead,

Yellow perch,

Dolly Varden,

Brook trout.

Clear muskie confirmed, first cast after trying for ages yesterday. Them's the breaks I guess lol.

And finally, Striped bass confirmed. Couldn't tempt them on a popper, only a walker.

Edit - Brook trout from Alberta, and yet I couldn't tempt a Brownie, Rainbow or Bull from other venues. Also had an 18lb Atlantic salmon ( which TC confirmed already ) capsize my kayak twice! Don't worry though, you reset yourself.

Hoping against hope for a Splake or Lake trout, but I'm guessing they stay too deep for topwaters..

Edited by Violentvole
Added species

hey V.V long time

the above mentioned with the top water lures, will all the uni's take them aswell? just wondering

thanks for the great post with the info

happy fishing bud

20 hours ago, Hate_ful said:

Got 2 tarpons today on poppers

How far did you have to cast out?  Please, the standard details! This could be my ticket to my first tarpon!

58 minutes ago, Dachinsta said:

How far did you have to cast out?  Please, the standard details! This could be my ticket to my first tarpon!

I've never had them at less than 150 feet myself, but given the post above, maybe 140 is the mark??

in my experience..tarpon is much like sturgeons (xept for the credits it gives)..you can catch them in certain hour and that's it, 1 or 2 in that hour (40m-35m middle or 130ft same as where most uni snook are caught)

I never had anyluck closer than 150ft out but can get them on topwater early evening at around 140 . Last night had 1 chase it in to around 120ft out before it hit.Its not a constant catch but i have gotten 5 in a 3 day trip .

Edited by Hate_ful