gunnies799

Some Uniques on PS4 not available at all?

I am now on Level 29 after playing for a few weeks and am trying to catch all the available Species and Sizes per location. I have so far completed Lone Star, Mudwater, Rocky, Emerald and Neherrin.

When I got to Emerald, I was unable, for days, to catch a Unique Sauger. I watched various Youtube videos (from guys like KpShamino, Mic_The_Sniper, Bulkan etc.) on how to do it and tried everything. While the other Users, as per the videos, seemed to catch them no problem, I basically kept filling my keepnet with Commons and Trophys to no avail (I literally mean DAYS - real, not only in-game). I spent thousands on renting a Kayak to complete this, I even later targeted only Walleye until I had enough money to afford my own kayak so that I wouldn't have to keep renting one. So trust me that this was not due to lack of perceverance. Eventually I gave up and moved on to Neherrin River. Then the exact same thing happened with the Longnose Gar, Pumpkinseed, White Crappie and Black Crappie. The only Uniques I was able to catch at Neherrin (with little to no problems) were the Redear Sunfish and the Smallmouth Bass.

It was then that I noticed something perculiar. All these species, that I am having trouble with, when I look at their description under the available Fish Species of the location, the word "Unique" is written in a little darker color than the other sizes "Common", "Trophy". Meaning that the smaller sizes are written out in Bright White, whereas the word "Unique" is written in a greyish color.

This leads me to believe that there is something is odd going on here. Either these sizes are not available on the PS4, or they were, but have in the meantime been discontinued. Or maybe they only unlock on a higher level, or I first need to complete some tutorial or mission maybe? Or maybe these fish are only available for Premium Members or they are not available on the Free2Play version (which would really p... me off). This all happened between 10 Jan 2020 and 10 Feb 2020. I added 2 screenshots of what I'm talking about - one with the geyish colour of the species I am having trouble with, and another where I had no problems catching the Unique. Can someone maybe verify that this is the case? I am getting sick of wasting hours catching Crappies (I HATE Crappies 😄) only to realise that there are no Uniques to be had and I could have spent the time filling my net with nice Bass instead.

Untitled.png

Untitled.png

Edited by gunnies799
Adding Image

The fish size will become highlighted in the fish species list once you have caught one of that size (young, common, trophy and unique), you could try using leeches (on a 1/0 hook) for the black crappie around the sunken tree trunks and weed bed that's at your feet at the first peg (forgotten its name, sorry), fishing for them at peak times is probably your best bet.

Uni Sauger like to hang around the rock faces in Emerald, the one far to the left of the dock is a good bet, if your getting trophies your in the right area, they are mostly active during the night time. You could try using (night) lures with 3/0 sized hooks.

HTH. 

Hey Chapman

First of all, thanks for the quick reply. And for the explanation about the colors. That explains a lot and I never made that connection that it turns white as soon as I have caught one, haha.

However I really doubt that there are Unique Sauger at Emerald Lake. I mean after trying everything, even what you said for 3 days straight (12-15 in-game days/nights) I haven't caught one. How is that even possible, when as per the videos on Youtube, other users caught them as if it's nothing. I tried Night Shad, Glow Worm with Jigheads ranging from 1/0 to 3/0. I tried Night Narrow Spoon 2/0 and 3/0. I tried Small Minnows, Shiners and I also tried at both Sauger locations in the channel to the right of the lake, viewed from the dock as well as towards the rocks at what they call "Sauger Island" to the left of the map. I'm not sure if  am allowed to post the links below, but I tried all that for days.

Can you confirm that you are playing the F2P PS4 version and are still able to catch them as of today?

As for the Crappies at Neherrin, I haven't tried Leeches yet because I think Leeches only unlock at Level 30 or 31. I can still try doing that once unlocked.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b57QNJZ_RYc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBPnqH1GPdo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7qksaVYf_I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2vwhYJ7vBU

Edited by gunnies799

I play the PC F2P version, but it should be the same (just the updates take a while to get approved on the PS4). The last time I caught one was around January 4th (2020) 10:04 PM at night with a full moon, parked to the left of "Sauger Island" casting and retrieving along the rock face. First catch a trophy and then start targeting that area (by marking it on your tablet). I did not look at the videos but KP_Shamino's normally gives you enough info to get what you want, but anything older than a year is probably out of date.

Can't get leeches, try small minnows instead (and get harassed by lots of bass instead).

HTH. 

The uni sauger took me ages as well. It was VERY satisfying when I finally caught one. I'm working my through all the trophy & uniques, about a dozen to go, but the largemouth bass in Mudwater still eludes me.

If you get too frustrated @gunnies799, send me a friend request in game and I can send you a couple of markers, my ID is the same as here. They do exist, all of the uniques exist on PS4. I doubt I placed a marker for the pumpkinseed though lol, but I have ones for both crappies and a few for the sauger as well.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Chief Brody 23 said:

The uni sauger took me ages as well. It was VERY satisfying when I finally caught one. I'm working my through all the trophy & uniques, about a dozen to go, but the largemouth bass in Mudwater still eludes me.

Mudwater does not have a unique LMB, I hope you're just looking for a trophy.

I don't fish Mudwater much at all so maybe someone else can provide more detail, but you should be able to get one from the default spawn peg, either walking straight out and casting off to the left, or from the same peg walk along the trail to the next opening where the stumps are sticking up out of the water. If you have strong enough gear there will be Rowdy Bass near those stumps next month for the St. Paddy's Day event that weigh close to 20 lbs.!! Good luck

• Like 1

@Chief Brody 23

Funny enough I had no problem at all with the Bass at Mudwater. I think I caught it just a little up from the default Spawn Location. I cast between the Tree and the shore (or just left of the little stump) with either a 3/0 Jighead and the Green 7cm Shad or with the 2/0 Gold Spoon during the daylight. You will catch a lot of Pickerels as well. The other way is to catch at night with the 7cm Night Shad or the Blue Night Casting Spoon but then I just turn 90 degrees and cast towards the other side of the River. I reel in the lure closer to the bottom twitching on speed 2 or stop-go on speed 3. This way you will also pick up a few Drums or Bowfins. I am not sure if I caught it during day or night, sorry, but I am very sure that I have caught multiple Trophy's, not just one.

The other way is with a Matchrod or Feeder Rod. At the same location just into the middle of the river with a 3/0 Hook and a Shiner. Shiners always work for Bass, but obviously you'll pick up other fish like Catfish, Drums and Bowfins as well.

Untitled1.png

Edited by gunnies799

@kdog013

Thanks a lot dude. I FINALLY got it. I cast it a little to the left of your marker. Eventually I got 2 trophy's and then the Unique below. I think what also might have helped is that I always used to fish with the 5cm Glow Worm and I saw you caught with the 12.5cm. So I purchased that one and that is what I caught it on. It put up a good fight as well.

Now to finish off Neherrin... 😄

Thanks again.

IMG_20200212_164846.jpg

Edited by gunnies799
  • Like 4

No problem, glad you got it checked off the list! My biggest was actually on the 6" (15cm) one, but they will bite on 4,5, & 6 inch (10, 12.5, & 15cm) glow worms as well as a few other baits. 

Good luck in Neherrin, when casting at the black crappie marker I sent, you may occasionally get a big flathead catfish instead, so don't go too light with your gear or you might get spooled lol. 

Neherrin is finally done. Thanks for the help. So some Trophies and Uniques are very difficult to catch, and going forward, I'll grind it down, even when it seems impossible. Falcon is next.

On ‎2‎/‎12‎/‎2020 at 7:04 AM, gunnies799 said:

@Chief Brody 23

Funny enough I had no problem at all with the Bass at Mudwater. I think I caught it just a little up from the default Spawn Location. I cast between the Tree and the shore (or just left of the little stump) with either a 3/0 Jighead and the Green 7cm Shad or with the 2/0 Gold Spoon during the daylight. You will catch a lot of Pickerels as well. The other way is to catch at night with the 7cm Night Shad or the Blue Night Casting Spoon but then I just turn 90 degrees and cast towards the other side of the River. I reel in the lure closer to the bottom twitching on speed 2 or stop-go on speed 3. This way you will also pick up a few Drums or Bowfins. I am not sure if I caught it during day or night, sorry, but I am very sure that I have caught multiple Trophy's, not just one.

The other way is with a Matchrod or Feeder Rod. At the same location just into the middle of the river with a 3/0 Hook and a Shiner. Shiners always work for Bass, but obviously you'll pick up other fish like Catfish, Drums and Bowfins as well.

Untitled1.png

I finally got a 4.3lb trophy LMB thanks to your advice. I'd been fishing in the wrong place for ages. Cheers!