Sign in to follow this  
richierob

Spods, PVAs & Method Feeders

Which do you use for carp fishing and why? Method feeders seem like the least effort and expense, but I'd rather use something else if it's more effective.

I've been trying to figure this out too.   I've tried all of the above and personally don't notice much of  a difference.   I fished one day (4 carp rods) using the flat feeders and caught 5 Unis, 10 trophies and 13-15 commons.    The weather was the same the next day, so fished the same spot during the same times using the same boiles.   The only difference was no groundbait and I replaced the feeders with carp sinkers.    I caught 5 Unis, 10 trophies, and 13-15 commons.  Exactly the same!   I also did it in roughly the same amount of time.     People swear by groundbait, but the only difference I'm seeing is added cost.

• Like 1

Hmm that's interesting. Im level 49 and have caught every fish so far without using groundbait, but I got the impression it was essential at the UK lake. They all just seem so rubbish though. The heaviest method feeder is too light for the heaviest carp rod (classic Fishing Planet), using a spod takes up a rod slot and PVA bags are single use only. If I can still catch every unique without it, I'd rather do that. I don't mind if it takes a bit longer. 

I fished UK from Level 50 to 54.  It's a very fun lake!   I plan to go back, but I"m doing Blue Crab at the moment.    My experience in the previous reply was exclusively at the UK lake with Carp.   The feeder weight issue resolves once you put in the groundbait.   You'll be Optimal once you do.   I recommend you try it both with and without for your own opinion, but wouldn't spend a lot on groundbait unless you find it works for you.   

Edit:  You can also catch them on Peas and Corn, but the boilies do work better.

Edited by SenatorJKG
Add additional info

So which do you think is the best? Spod, method or PVA? I don't mean the best for catching fish necessrily. I mean overall least hassle/expense etc. I can't be bothered to try all three and I don't know what one to go for.

Edited by richierob