Cruiser685

Nooby question.... what is your favorite rod/reel combo

I have not been on the Fishing Planet very long and have wasted a bunch of $$$$$$$ on poor choices for rod/reels combinations. What is your fav rod/reel combo for whatever your favorite fish is??

Aye, yes young grasshopper. For ye come forth seeking knowlege and wisdom.

LOl. Serioulsy though, the list is long. It all depends on many many factors. The type of species I'm engaged with a the moment. Whether I'm speed fishing, and want to get them into the shore as fast as I can. Just layin' back having fun catching bigger fish on light tackle, or interested in gaining as much XP as possible etc. But if I'm playing around and looking for a fight, for spinning I like my 8'-10" Jigwinner, EspiraML3000SE reel and 12lb. flouro line. If I want to get all serious and such, 8'-10" Rivertex Zues S/E with Rivertex Thunderspin 5500S reel and 40lb. flouro line. And for something in between, 9'-6" Thora SE, Fat Boy Spin 6000SE reel and 15lb. flouro.  For float fishing, I don't unless I absolutely have to. 

Check out the this link to the Uber Sheet Project. There's a ton of info on balanced gear combinations. It's worth a look at, beleive me, you wont regret it.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1B5W-Ab_oaUAmJKQC0F6EsZ-3O9kyutLQtP4EuSh8VT0/edit#gid=1015611009

• Like 1

So far my favorites are as follows and divided into two section. 

Up until level 25

Rods -

1. Omnifloat 11( forgot appropriate length) 

2. Jigwinner 8'6"

Reels-

1. Prima3500

2. Wincast 2500/Prima 

-----------------------------------------------------------------

After Level 25 to Level 39

Rods -

1. Brutus ( Again Forgot the length) 

2. Thora 9'6"

Reels -

1. Lineglider(22+ Max drag) 

2. Forgot the name but it's a casting reel and price is 30300( Max Drag 33+ )

Please pardon me regarding names as I am not playing atvm but they are favorites till now. 

BTW my favorite fish so far apart from pikes is white sturgeon, Mann the way they fight it's mind blowing and it gives so much adrenaline rush that u can feel it but one must use suitable gear to fill it but not too high. 

I am still waiting for to get that huge 220lb sturgeon if not at least 110lb because as having a Max keepnet of 440lbs whose single fish capacity is 110lbs so it has to be there that's what I think at least. 

4 minutes ago, J.Mitchell WV said:

Aye, yes young grasshopper. For ye come forth seeking knowlege and wisdom.

LOl. Serioulsy though, the list is long. It all depends on many many factors. The type of species I'm engaged with a the moment. Whether I'm speed fishing, and want to get them into the shore as fast as I can. Just layin' back having fun catching bigger fish on light tackle, or interested in gaining as much XP as possible etc. But if I'm playing around and looking for a fight, for spinning I like my 8'-10" Jigwinner, EspiraML3000SE reel and 12lb. flouro line. If I want to get all serious and such, 8'-10" Rivertex Zues S/E with Rivertex Thunderspin 5500S reel and 40lb. flouro line. And for something in between, 9'-6" Thora SE, Fat Boy Spin 6000SE reel and 15lb. flouro.  For float fishing, I don't unless I absolutely have to. 

Check out the this link to the Uber Sheet Project. There's a ton of info on balanced gear combinations. It's worth a look at, beleive me, you wont regret it.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1B5W-Ab_oaUAmJKQC0F6EsZ-3O9kyutLQtP4EuSh8VT0/edit#gid=1015611009

Yo u also like jigwinner and Thora as many old players didn't mentioned anything about those Rods but they are good. 

1 hour ago, Roy said:

Yo u also like jigwinner and Thora as many old players didn't mentioned anything about those Rods but they are good.

Heck Roy, I have rods and reels that have never been out of home storage lol. I haven't bought all the DLC, but I did purchase the Lucky Start, Bass Boss, Catfish Combat, Salmon Star and Christmas Magic Packs. I believe the Thora and Fat Boy came with the Bass Boss Pack, and and the Rivertex Zues and Thunderspin came with the Salmon Star Pack. The Brutus came in the Catfish Combat Pack, and that's my go to heavy for float fishing. I've tried to use bait casters, but just don't like them, and there are a few that came with these packs. If we could gift items, I have a whole bunch of low level gear that I would be more than glad to gift a needy newcomer lol.

Yes a thousand times on the Thora 9' 6". I paired it with the Exterminator 5500. Also had good success with the Omnifloat 14' 10" at lower levels and Nero 14' 10" for bigger fish. 

My overall favorite rod/reel combo in the game for it's handling and such is the Basscaster with Counselor reel...  It's the Sweet Baby Ray's of FP.  It's obviously a specialty set up that can't work everywhere, but I love when I can pull it out. 

Essentially, it breaks down like this (I carry 7 rods)..  Zeus/thunderspin/.6mm flouro, Brutus/thunderspin/.55m flouro, Nora/calisto or whatever/~4kg line, fenix/10.5kg reel to match/9.1kg braid, jigwinner (the most versatile of the light rods)/6kg reel/5.6kg line, thora/9.5kg reel/9.1kg line,  basscaster/counselor/braid.

I do like the feel of other rods more though and I use them whenever...  the featherlite series is awesome fun to use and I roll the Fenix because it's way more interesting than a brutus as far as match rods go.

The game seriously needs another step up in Match rods; however.  The Brutus is underpowered for the top lines, etc., available.

I don't know a single person who uses GalaxyCast or CosmoCast... Two powerful rods (most in game actually) that never get used because... why?  Zeus casts better and there isn't any line available to take advantage of the extra strength of those rods.  Very odd that they are even around when there is no lines for them.

The game also needs more Braid at the higher end... .28mm just doesn't cut it.  13kg?!?! really?  Braid is the strongest line in the world yet it's not available in FP in stronger versions?  Why only flouro at the top?  Braid should surpass it.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ThePedroKid said:

I don't know a single person who uses GalaxyCast or CosmoCast... Two powerful rods (most in game actually) that never get used because... why?  Zeus casts better and there isn't any line available to take advantage of the extra strength of those rods.

use both baitcaster for simple reason..it cast almost perfect for some spot and you don't have to think about the distance especially in competitions ( eg cosmocast cast upto 35m perfect for chinook in alaska (30m) imo.

and galaxy upto 40m-45m ( good for lmb in florida) even without you always casts perfectly

Edited by papubino
typo
  • Like 1

Thanks guys. one other question if I might. Aim casting is something I need to improve, it is unpredictable( unacceptable) to not be asble to cast to a slpot 35 foot out. what could be the problem. I've tried new line lighter heavier it is just too unreliable. any thoughts Sorry still learning?

30 minutes ago, Cruiser685 said:

Thanks guys. one other question if I might. Aim casting is something I need to improve, it is unpredictable( unacceptable) to not be asble to cast to a slpot 35 foot out. what could be the problem. I've tried new line lighter heavier it is just too unreliable. any thoughts Sorry still learning?

If it's being glitchy on a close ranged aim cast, I'll pull up the marker and note how far up the bar it is, then get rid of it and do a manual cast, stopping the bar where it was when the aim marker was up.

My setups:

Heavy lure - Rivertex Zeus 8'10" SE, Thunderspin 5500 SE.

Medium lure - Loki 7'7" SE, Espira Doublepunch 5500 SE.

Light lure - Jigwinner 8'10" SE, EspiraML 3000 SE.

Heavy bait - CGT Fingiant 9'10", Thunderspin 5500 SE.

Light bait - Fenix 14'10", EspiraML 2500.

Lines change depending on what I'm fishing for.

Yes J Mitchell I use the L 1 to highlight the area and then R1 to start and R1 a second time when in middle of graph. sometimes works but not consistent. I thought line was problem but now after trying different lines  still to  inconsistent. I don't have the rod and reel combination in front of me but I will not stop until I find the problem. I'll get back and post the rod and reel numbers. Thanks to all who keep involved with this forum gleaning bits of information from others is almost as good as fishing....Well not really

• Like 1

On 1/9/2018 at 5:02 AM, papubino said:

use both baitcaster for simple reason..it cast almost perfect for some spot and you don't have to think about the distance especially in competitions ( eg cosmocast cast upto 35m perfect for chinook in alaska (30m) imo.

and galaxy upto 40m-45m ( good for lmb in florida) even without you always casts perfectly

Absolutely!

• Like 1

I play on pc, but I always bring the following 7 rods:

1. Float set up. Brutus (10'10") + Espira Double Punch (6500). Good set-up, able to land all fish. I also bring a spare 10lb reel in case i want to target smaller fish.

2. Ultra light: Featherlight (7") + Espira slim (2500) reel. Very nice to fish smaller trout, perch and crappie

3. Medium casting: Farcaster (8'6") and Attourney (3000P). 10 LB set up to fish mostly bass, walleye and smaller pike, Great combo for using lighter line but heavy lures 

4. Medium spinning: Jigwinner (8'10") and Heartspinner (3500). 12lb set up for trout / walleye mainly. 

5. Heavy spinning: Thora (9'6") and Hornet swarm (5000). 20lb set up for all kinds of fish. I sometimes change this rod for a Loki or a Basscaster (depending on the lure weight i want to use)

6. Heavy casting: Galaxy Cast (8'6") and Vortex (5000). Heavy casting set up. Very nice rod bent while fighting the fish. 

7.Heavy spinning: Salmonster (8'10") and Redfish (5500). Good set up to catch all the big fish in the game.

Some of the rods / reels I use are DLC items, but for all the rods and reels there is an ingame alternative. Also, I sometimes switch some rods for the night fishing equivalent, just because they look really good.

• Like 3