Sign in to follow this  
gunnies799

Questions about stringers / bobbers / lines

Hi all

1. What is the difference between stringers and keepnets? I mean I know the difference in real life of how they work but I mean in the game. I see there is a stringer available on Level 45 (250Kg total / 75Kg max). The keepnet in that size is only available at level 48 and is more expensive. I also see that the stringer has a high durability and the keepnet low. As keepnets are so expensive to repair, is there any drawback to using the stringer in the game? I mean as the fish are just virtual, I couldn't care less about what's better or more gentle on the fish.

2. Why do bobbers have durability and how does this affect the gameplay? I got a glowing pear shaped bobber in some mission for free. This bobber is now over half way down in durability. Pear shaped bobbers cast further than the round ones I noticed, but the glowing pear shaped bobbers can only be purchased with coins, which I do not want to do. Will the bobber eventually stop floating or something? And when should I expect this to happen then (when should it be replaced)?

3. I usually fish with lines / leaders until their durability is around 50%. Can one go much lower than that? When should line be changed and when does it start breaking? As the durability goes down, does the line tension meter go up more than with new line, or how does this work?

4. Is the line tension meter a combination of line and leader? Meaning does it indicate the weakest of the 2? Or will the setup break if I, for instance have a 24Kg Line with a 18Kg Leader and the tension goes to almost full but not totally to the top? The reason I'm asking is because I have this case at the moment as the stronger leaders are not yet unlocked on my level. I can purchase the Red Braid 0.27 (24Kg) on my level, but the strongest leader I can currently buy is the 0.3 Titanium leader which has a breaking point of around 18Kg. So will the line tension meter indicate 18Kg until breaking?

Edited by gunnies799

1)  Stringers have significantly reduced repair costs, especially when doing the 30 day challenge on a waterway. I frequently take one when I don't care about maximizing profit on a trip, since the largest stringer size is 250kg, and the largest keepnet is 500kg. That stringer in Weeping Willow will get you about 45,000 in silver and the keepnet will get you over 90,000 when full.  Some competitions require a stringer.   Also keep in mind that you can't release fish from a stringer and that has some disadvantages.

2) Bobbers are similar to other items, like rods, reels, etc which incur wear.  Bobbers incur wear with each cast.  You can repair a rod/reel but not a bobber.  I use it until it reaches 5% then discard it for another bobber.  It is similar to titanium leaders in that respect. You can earn glowing and other bobbers on many missions and challenges,  I have only purchased 1 from the store,  but have over 8 in my inventory from this.

3) I use most lines/leaders until they reach the 10% threshold.  Each person has their own comfort level for wear.  I have a friend that monitors the repair units for each item and tries to bring wear to between 0 and 200 units before he discards it or repairs it.   He sees that as a personal challenge.  I have never noticed a difference in fishing with equipment, lines or leaders that have severe (red zone) deterioration.   It still brings in the big fish, and the in game mechanics feel the same when using worn items.

4) I have my in game settings set to PRO which shows 3 individual vertical bars for load.  One for the rod, one for the reel, and the other for the line or the leader.  It shows the weakest of the two, and that is what you should keep in mind when factoring in breaking points.

Edited by Tonto
  • Like 1

Thank you Tonto. Answers all my questions perfectly.

1. I didn't know that fish can't be released from a stringer, which is not a crisis but good to know in advance. I'll buy the stringer then for now and keep it even when I get the biggest Net. The huge net is not always necessary.

2. Sad that a bobber can't be repaired, but oh well, at least it works the same until it's at 0%.

3. I can't believe how much money I wasted by discarding my lines at 50% up until now. 🙂

4. I also use the PRO setting, and I was hoping that it shows the lesser of the 2. I can rest easy then.

Edited by gunnies799