What is needed is a unpredictability factor!

William McGowan

I see so many posts from players who "have reached the end of the game and find it boring now". I believe they have created this problem by the way they approach the game. It is supposed to be about fishing...as we all know fishing is unpredictable in it's nature. How many of you, in real life...go to a lake armed with a map that tells you the exact spot, bait, time to catch a "unique" or Trophy fish?

So we have players who turn the sport of fishing into a task of using a "map" or formula to achieve a "goal" of catching every single fish obtainable and then when that is done they say the game is now "boring!  I have been playing now for a few months and am currently at level 27. I make it a point NOT to watch videos that show me where a certain fish may be found, etc. Instead I approach each lake as I would in real life..looking for likely spots, exploring the surroundings. There is more satisfaction in discovering a sweet spot on your own then there is just following someone elses directions!

I don't use spreadsheets and the like...I try to achieve realism instead. I have caught several Trophy fish this way, although I must admit I have yet to hook a "Uni". But that way, I still have that as a goal...and I would rather discover one by myself, by trial and error than follow a "map" of where they are!

I believe the game would be well served if the Devs could introduce a random factor that would have the effect of making the location of so called Trophy and Unique fish a variable rather than a constant. This would do away with mapping and make the game mirror real life unpredictability. I think this would add to the enjoyment. I also think the game would improve by adding spontaneous unpredictable environmental effects...a deer on the other side of the lake, a airplane flying overhead, someone swimming nearby, etc...but these should be totally random and not so frequent...like the repetitive dragonfly landing on the pole, which is much too frequent and happens day and night, it seems. Thoughts?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

While I am one of the players you refer to, I didn't so much experience boredom as a sense of loss - nothing left to aim for. However, a break of a couple of days soon fixed that and am now back playing everyday getting my kicks from helping anyone in the room who asks a question.

However, it has to be remembered that this is indeed a game. Although billed as a sim it is in actuality a game ( albeit a very accurate and enjoyable one ). And like nearly every other game out there, there is a definitive ' end ' of things to do...for now. There are myriad other games out there where the ' end ' is reached but you can carry on playing ( FF7 and Rebel Galaxy are 2 examples I have on my HDD right now ) and FP does the same thing with ranks.

I fully accept I blasted through the game thanks to YT and Ubersheet, but that's because I wanted to due to it being such a fantastic game. Found my place now just chilling out catching whatever comes along and helping randoms as best I can.

Regarding wildlife, I'm sure I read somewhere it's possible to spot an alligator in Florida. But, I'm playing to catch fish so the lack of bears in Alaska doesn't bother me so much.

Each to their own, I absolutely love the game and as a result I didn't want to spend 2 years grinding the unis by trial and error, same as there are guys who play just for the competitions and guys like yourself who play purely for pleasure.

Although those Legendary fish once mentioned would give the game a new lease of life devs * hint hint * ;-)

• Like 1

I understand your feelings...I didn't mean to criticize anyone for how they choose to play the game...I was only pointing out what I feel makes them frustrated. It's funny with this particular game- I wonder how many who use the Tutorials and spreadsheet to advance quickly-do the same when they play a RPG or a Strategy game? Do they use every spoiler/cheat they can find to rush thru to the end? I don't think so...so I wonder why so many do it with FP? I think you you hit on the answer...the "grind" to make $$$ is a little too tedious..I think it should be toned down a bit, as well. As I am retired and can play as much as I want, whenever I want I had no need to accelerate things...but I can see how someone who has to work everyday could lose patience with the pace very quickly. Thanks for your thoughts!

• Like 1

I grew up an ocean fisherman in CA and moved to Colorado, and had to learn fresh water fishing like it was a new thing.  Being in the age of the internet I tried to research a lot of things, and discovered there are more charts and graphs for fishing than I'd ever thought possible.  So I wouldn't say that the guides and spreadsheets here make things less realistic.  I do think there should be some randomness to the game to make it like real fishing...I've gotten big fish during "off" hours IRL and have gone bust during "peak" times...and I'm not sure if the game does that as I haven't played as much as a lot of others.  I did read a post that did mention having bad days, so it appears there is some of that going on.

• Like 1

It would be nice if there was some variety to the productive fishing holes.  Not too much because the player still needs to at least cover the cost of the 24 hour (real-time) licence if they don't have a pass.   This means you have to fit enough game into that license to cover your 'costs' but is a free-to-play.   

What I think would be a nice edition would be more hot fishing spots but they cycle.  So if one good hole became 5 good holes.   One would be the best spot producing those high-probability Trophy fish and the others less so.  The surface activity could offer hints if you were observant enough.   

A little more variety in the hot bait/lure of the day would add interest too.

• Thanks 1

On 7/2/2018 at 5:18 PM, Violentvole said:

, I absolutely love the game and as a result I didn't want to spend 2 years grinding the unis by trial and error, same as there are guys who play just for the competitions and guys like yourself who play purely for pleasure.

Well said n I love you for saying all those things. 😁😁🎉 LOL

• Like 2

On 2/8/2018 at 9:18 AM, BinPanzerd said:

It would be nice if there was some variety to the productive fishing holes.  Not too much because the player still needs to at least cover the cost of the 24 hour (real-time) licence if they don't have a pass.   This means you have to fit enough game into that license to cover your 'costs' but is a free-to-play.   

license cost can be covered in @ 1 hour of realtime, usually. 

in cali i can actually fill my net (largest one) in 1-2 hours of real time

not many trophys, no uni's. 

I just did a 5 day trip in CO over 2 IRL days.  Came out about 7k ahead (using a 44lb fishkeeper) after all expenses (not counting level up cash).

Probably could have made more grinding out bass in Texas but it was a lot more fun and learned a lot (finding rainbow schools was a rush...casting and reeling in as fast as I could before it went away).  Also gained 3 levels out of it.

Edited by Precisionist
  • Like 1