Snakehead bite rate at different lakes

richierob

Has anyone noticed any differences in bite rate between the lakes? Do they bite more at the higher level lakes? And does it matter which lures you use at which lakes?

I've nearly caught them all now, but I know some people have been complaining the swimbait is slow. I had a hunch it might work better at Marron, but I haven't tried it yet - has anyone else?

Not sure, could be the weather (fish activity chart), could be different waterways work better on different days. Quanchkin Lake, Louisiana seemed good enough for me, anywhere along the wooden walkways (the Tobacco drying hut and Pelican hut spawn points) where I could get a cast to retrieve along weed beds or snag/structure. A slow retrieve fished close or on to the surface (speed 1 stop and go) generally worked for me. The swimbait seemed to have a nice little tail flutter when I stopped the retrieve and allowed it to sink for a second before bringing it back to the surface again. Usually I'd catch a snakehead from one spot/area then target a different spot (to allow time for one a respawn).

HTH.  

Marron has had the fastest bite rates. I fished from boat looking for medium blips on or near mid to peak periods. I've landed 3 back to back before moving a little further to catch more.

Mudwater is fairly decent. I think I like Mudwater more than Quanchkin, but BCI more than Mudwater because my friends think Mudwater is too lowly to fish. I wanted to love Weeping Willows, but it was actually slower than Mudwater and I can't carp with the event stringer...thus making me hate Weeping Willows for snakehead kicking. I'd be fishing Marron more, but my friends were fishing BCI. All of us want new hats by doing the 150 per event species (Rowdy Bass, Leprechaun Fish, and the Tamborine named fish that escapes me) and are farming bait coins as well as event coins.

• Like 1

I haven't fished at Marron during this event, most if not all of my snakeheads came from Mudwater and Quanchkin. For the swimbaits I was in Quanchkin and caught them all standing in the same spot shared with me by @Hate_ful . I don't remember the peg name but on the map it's directly across from the peg where the gar are, casting straight out into the long narrow strip between the lily pads and using basically the same retrieve as @PH_Carpman99.

Edited by kdog013

On 3/19/2022 at 3:50 PM, kdog013 said:

I haven't fished at Marron during this event, most if not all of my snakeheads came from Mudwater and Quanchkin. For the swimbaits I was in Quanchkin and caught them all standing in the same spot shared with me by @Hate_ful . I don't remember the peg name but on the map it's directly across from the peg where the gar are, casting straight out into the long narrow strip between the lily pads and using basically the same retrieve as @PH_Carpman99.

The best snakehead lake is by far the Everglades. A 3 spawn rotation casting left and right caught all that were required for the mission in 1 calendar day.

• Thanks 1