why are some people repeatedly pausing during competitions

waiora

Cant help but notice. I would enter a competition 10-15mins late and you would see certain names in the top 5, clearly fishing since the competition started. However when my time is seconds from running out they are still busy scoring. They keep scoring through out too. There's never a long period where you can tell they paused the timer for say 10mins. 

That makes it quite obvious they are pausing repeatedly for small intervals throughout the duration of a competition. And even after im done and had a look at the scores, when you go back and look later they stil kept on fishing after I left, adding another few mins worth to their total.

Edited by waiora

Not sure that leaving the game has any effect any more on one's performance in a competition.   

There was a time when leaving the game after catching a target fish would land you another when you returned, or change your RNG, but FP said some time ago that this tactic had been addressed (fixed).  I also regularly observe what you report but it doesn't bother me, as I also have paused a competition many times,  since I have young children to tend to and regular life things to do during comp times,  so a 30 min comp can take me 90 minutes to complete in such cases. 

So far I have not seen any benefit when leaving or pausing during the comp,  Just yesterday, in a South American competition, I observed a player who regularly does well, who was failing to produce their regular results.  Multiple exits and re-entries over the course of the two hours did not increase their standing, so I am inclined to believe "no harm, no foul".

Well the question is this, if a competition is 30mins duration and someone is taking 45-60mins to finish it, and theres never any extended period where you can tell they paused for even 5 minutes continuously where their score wasn't increasing. How many times did they need to be pausing to build up that 15-30mins extended time. If the pausing was 2min each time. You would see them falling lower on the top 5 list. But that isnt the case. They maintain the catch rate of the others. So the intervals of pausing is really short and many. 

A good example where it is most obvious is the fly like a butterfly, swim like a bass comp. The rotation is well known, the bite rates are pretty consistent and so is the scoring rate for most of the top players there. So you end up with some guys scoring at the same rate as those just fishing with no pausing, but they are taking a good 50% longer to complete. Its also not because of connection loss, I have been in same room and could see they never disconnected. It was just pausing causing the extended time. There is no reason to be in the menu constantly during that comp, you travel to another peg 2 or 3 times through out, and its fished with either prawn or shrimps. Opening the menu just to travel or swap bait doesn't explain that huge time difference.

Is anyone of those players who you perceive to be "constantly pausing" achieving a score that is way over the regular winning scores? That's the question, if not then I don't think there's much reason to waste time and thought over it.