Top Water Fish Biting Pre-determined?

Does anyone know whether the top water fishing biting mechanism is pre-determined?

I'm talking about when you use a walker/popper/frog and successfully lure the fish to the lure, but it misses the lure after striking it, swims up (bubbled water) to bite it, or they reaching out of the water to bite it, etc.

I hear that there may be ways to increase you chances by changing the speed of the reel-in OR pulling the rod in the opposite direction after they bite the lure and not reel in immediately when they strike.  I think I've had some success trying both ways, but it's hard to really say if it's me or something else.

I do notice that most times when the fish pops their head out the water to bite, more often they are trophies and uniques.  This gets a bit discouraging if you end up not being to reel them in.

• 3 weeks later...

Regardless of lure type if what you are seeing bite and connect is mostly unis/trophies it is because you are fishing on the high end of the 'bite'.  A slightly smaller lure or slower retrieve will get you more fish.  Depending on peak times, weather conditions, etc this 'bite' is always changing.  As such, a healthy size range of lures you plan to use should be part of your planning before heading out on a trip.  For example, a 3/0 casting spoon can bring in lots of fish at the peak times and favourable weather conditions.  Using the same lure outside those prime conditions will often get you very little.  You often must switch to a 2/0 or 1/0 or instead of a fairly quick stop n' go (without touching bottom) you may need to slow down your stop n' go and bounce it off the bottom.

Makes sense.  I think there are times, weather conditions, day or night that certain fish absolutely don't bite at all in regardless of how small your lure is.  Thus ,it's better to experiment and label times when you catch them -- especially the highly prized fish you want to farm.

Lastly, various fish changes location (e.g. catfish) or just disappears at night.

1 hour ago, Saberneko said:

I think there are times, weather conditions, day or night that certain fish absolutely don't bite at all in regardless of how small your lure is.

I know a lot of people that have thought that to be the case.  I can pretty much always find them.  Certain fish like Smallmouth Buffalo in Missouri can be very hard to catch consistently outside of peak times but they are there.  For many it's not worth the time to find them, depends on how you like to play.  Finding all the little hidden mechanics is part of what I like to do.