Sign in to follow this  
Cruiser685

Reel says capacity but then when putting line on says damage will occur

Kinda new but have not run into this before.---------Bought a Hornet Swarm 4000(mono20/100, braid 30/135)  trying to put it on a Thora 9 6 Line wght 6 - 21-----  NOW THE Question When I put on Braid 20(.009) or Floro 20 (.016) I get the message that line is to strong for reel and risk of damage. What am I missing mono20 = .016  same dia as Floro and the reel says it is rated for braid 30 but won't take the braid 20 (dia .009) Doesn't line Daimater smaller than Capacity work? 

The Capacity specification is for how much line the reel can hold. Max Drag of the HornetSwarm 4000 1s 19.8 lbs. Any line over that is too strong and you risk damaging the reel by using it.

• Thanks 1

I just do not understand why they give you capacity for lines that are going to do damage. I thought the 20/100 for mono and the 30/135 for braid gives the impression that these line are safe but also recommended? I know I can use smaller but damage from a line that is listed as a capacity seems odd to me.

The most important reel spec is the Max Drag, it indicates the strength of line the reel can handle. I think the second most important spec is recovery as it affects presentation.

Damage for the reel or the rod? I ran into this issue when I was newer with some fluorcarbon. I assumed it meant the reel until I read the message "damage to the ROD will occur". The rod and reel may take different ratings, so be sure to watch out for that. For example, my Prima 3500 will take 20 lb braid, but my rod is only rated for 13 lb line, so I keep 10 lbs braid on it. It is still kind of unrealistic though. I am a fisherman irl, and it is common practice to put heavy braid on a reel and rod not rated for it. Unless you encounter a superfish (such as on this game!) they aren't going to apply enough force to cause damage. I pur 50-65 lb braid quite often on my irl baitcasting reels/rods. Never had any issue with damages; then again, there is also a thing called leaders irl that are generally lower rated as a weak point so that if trouble occurs we can just break it off.

Edited by WhiskerFisher