Sign in to follow this  
Wildcardx07

Ungodly strong fish?

So I was competing just now in the "Fly like a butterfly fight like a bass" (i believe thats the name) competition in Florida.. Im using a #6/0 hook and shiners on a pole set up with 13 pounds of drag and 12 pound line..

I start the comp and catch 3 peacock bass in less than 5 minutes, 1s even a trophy. Off to a good start. Im not getting all my exp because my poles to strong, but who cares, i want that competition reward. At 25 minutes into the comp I hook a peacock bass, im possitive it was 1, it ess jumping and at one point I was able to see it.

I fought this fish for over 45 minutes leaving me in like 70th place with only 13 pounds caught. Comp ends 25 minutes into the fight but screw it, this fish cost me the comp so Im going to win this now. Another 20 minutes after the comp of fighting and its still dragging my line out 200 feet. Out of no where it informs me the fish escaped due to lack of tension but the fish was still pulling and 2 of my 3 bars were almost max'd.

Very aggravating. Makes me not want to take part in comps. But ill always wonder now just how big this apparent 15 pound Peacock Bass really was while at the same time wondering how 1st place was able to catch over 80 pounds. 

I love this game even though my wife gives me crap for fishing at home all day, but is there something Im missing here?

Edited by Wildcardx07

I guess its possible, do the gar jump though? Even out at 200 feet I could see it going airborne. 

I really doubt it was the gar unless theyre more yellow and less red than they show on the map.

When i had it at about 50 feet and it was jumping it was a smaller pretty yellow fish which is why I assumed it was a peacock.. 

It would come in to about 60-50 feet and then take off on me again out to about 200.. slowly fight in back in and it would take off on me.. i did that probably 6-8 times before it escaped.

For what its worth Im level 22 and have the best spinning reel and pole I can have. 

Does anyone have recommendations for this situation? Should I have just let it go instead of fighting it? At 18 minutes left in the comp I started joking with the wife that it was going to fight the whole time but didnt expect to be going at it for almost an hour.

1 hour ago, Wildcardx07 said:

Does anyone have recommendations for this situation? Should I have just let it go instead of fighting it? 

Sounds like a snook or drum by your description. Next time, just cut the line if it's apparent you aren't going to land the fish. A hook and bait aren't really worth placing low in a comp battling a fish you can't catch. I wish that were my excuse for placing low in certain comps, but trying to land too big a fish has nothing to do with it in my case. 😄 When you're able to, bring heavier gear and you won't have to worry about it. Good luck in the next one.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, nordak76 said:

Sounds like a snook or drum by your description. Next time, just cut the line if it's apparent you aren't going to land the fish. A hook and bait aren't really worth placing low in a comp battling a fish you can't catch. I wish that were my excuse for placing low in certain comps, but trying to land too big a fish has nothing to do with it in my case. 😄 When you're able to, bring heavier gear and you won't have to worry about it. Good luck in the next one.

Yea.. i took the best gear I could and thats what shocked me.. I was destorying the rest.. Most competitions I cant do anything in.. the 2 pound trout comp in oregon seems to be the easiest one. Ive taken 2nd in that. The rest im lucky to get top 10.. Ive been almost certain more than once that some how people are cheating. 

Start at the same time as someone,  catch the right fish pretty consistently and someone guys still fly past me.. pretty demoralizing.

4 hours ago, Wildcardx07 said:

Yea.. i took the best gear I could and thats what shocked me.. I was destorying the rest.. Most competitions I cant do anything in.. the 2 pound trout comp in oregon seems to be the easiest one. Ive taken 2nd in that. The rest im lucky to get top 10.. Ive been almost certain more than once that some how people are cheating. 

Start at the same time as someone,  catch the right fish pretty consistently and someone guys still fly past me.. pretty demoralizing.

deep is very important 30cm no more no less!!!

7 hours ago, Wildcardx07 said:

pretty demoralizing

After the 100th or so comp, you get pretty numb to it. My best yet is a 3rd place finish in Catfish Trials, but I'm starting to get into top 10 spots more often. Keep at it and you'll start doing better. 

• Like 1

Ive descovered the magestic northern pike up at st. Croix.. i care very little of the comps now so i will probably do the few im comfortable with till im Trump rich and can afford to really examine all the fish and lakes for comps.

Believe it or not, and I was told this when I signed up on the forums, you'll grow tired of catching pike and darn near all the fish in all the waterways eventually. I'm at the point now I'm trying to beat my own uni records as I've caught them all. Comps are really the only thing at this point that keep me interested in the game because I haven't figured them out yet. Well, I should add the people I've met too as a reason to keep playing. I do pretty decent in a few, but the majority are still a mystery to me. Comps are a puzzle I've yet to solve, a very frustrating puzzle at times, but interesting enough to keep trying.

im in same boat looks like the game forgot content to keep the loyal players something to chew on.  I feel just trying to get all uniques is ridiculous just to have value of the game.  comps are the only part of the game worth even trying an they are only 3 on a good day if u have all day to play.  Yes ive grown tired of lack of content which game lacks for high level players.  I miss this game when i was level 20 or so but as u level up through the game fishing planet has just forgot to offer us any content.  The  game loses its majority of its players cause we eventually lose are zest for the game.  Something must be changed in order to keep players to hang around I have bout 20 friends in my list an im lucky to see 2 players on.  So i got all the needed rods bait and levels and i try to get in a comp if im lucky. I feel new waters are not the answer cause we will enventually get tired of them so i suggest again the game should bring us together as did the xmas event.  Devs please understand the great community that the fp has should be in mind. If people can relate with each other then the game doesnt ever get old.  This solo fishing must END we are slowly dwindling away at a rapid rate if fp can find away to get us talking and working for a purpose we as social beings need more connection and if talking isnt ur thing give us something to work on such as contracts missions etc.  Think u devs can keep us connected to ur plans for future cause its getting old having no clues or anything for us to recieve knowledge of ur work?  An what also would be great if u guys can let us know where u would love to see the game growing in the next few years.  Doesnt have to be working on at this moment but where do u see this game going with  ur hard work?

Edited by tombomb79
  • Like 1