Sign in to follow this  
Violentvole

I still shake my head and smile sometimes..

When the surface lures first appeared I spent a few weeks traveling and testing what would take what. Turned out damn near everything takes everything, only cost me 400k. I digress.

However, Walleye, Whitefish, Brown Trout and Tiger Trout eluded me on topwaters, and Jim and I believe TC was also testing them?

And then, after weeks and weeks of trying back in November (?) I was after a uni perch in Michigan earlier on a popper and a 5lb Brownie showed up. From the lighthouse, on a surface lure. I spent countless hours flogging Sandy Cape trying to get a Brownie on a surface lure lol. 

I love this randomness, getting gar from uni Bowfin, Channel Cats and Flathead spots in Louisiana.

However, I've yet to meet anyone who has had a Walleye on a surface lure..

I know some guys have had surprise Tarpon in Florida and I recall Jim getting a uni LMB from Salty Delta and a Chinook on peas in Cali ( I was there for that one ). I managed a LMB on large cutbait once.

What have you caught that you shouldn't have?

Do not reply with: shells, boots, weed, turtles etc.

• Like 1

Just a few I can remember:

Uni Tiger Trout, 4" Newt, far right hand corner at Sandy Cape.

Uni Northern Pike, 4" Shad, off the dock near the Uni Clear Muskie spot.

Uni Largemouth, #3/0 Yellow & Red Casting Spoon, left side of Salty Delta.

Uni Walleye, Pike Alley.

Uni Smallmouth, Tiger Musky spot.

Trophy Red Drum, #4/0 Popper, Salty Delta.

Chinock Salmon, Peas, In California.

Most recently, during the round one qualifier at Michigan, 28lb Blue Cat on a 12' #6/0 Crank at the Light House.

Edited by J.Mitchell WV

My best one was a largemouth Bass on corn while fishing Carp in California. I was utterly surprised, it only happend 1 time and i fished there extensivly

I can get walleye in New York but not Michigan . Fish towards evening by weeds. I also got a Tarpon but i think it was a fluke all by using Topwater lures . The biggest shock was when i was fishing for Oscar with a light weight pole ended up with a Unique snook

Edited by Hate_ful

Trying to catch the one that got away at my pike spot, partway down the shoreline of the eastern bank, heading towards pike alley using shiners on a 42" leader I caught a 44lb. blue cat at a little before one in the afternoon.

Either next day or the day after, same spot, same cast, uni smallmouth. I was in disbelief when I pulled this up, thought my beer was making me see things as it was getting pretty late lol.

I have caught several that have surprised me, but the last was an 11+ pound "Trophy" walleye fishing the tiger muskie area around Sandy Cape. I've never caught anything but uni once they surpassed the 11 lb. threshold on walleye.

I don't know if this would be considered odd per se, but one of my most unexpected catches came when I was fishing for brook trout, casting in the typical uni brook area, and hooked a 10.75 lb unique lake whitefish instead. It was my first whitefish, and remains my largest.

• Like 2

Tarpon by the overturned boat in FL. Using my jigwinner in the tiger trout spot and reeling in a 21 lb unique walleye.

• Like 2