How do you practice for Competitions & Tournaments?

mitderplatte

Hey guys,

I was just about to post a rant to the developers, and complain about the game again. But since that's what everybody's doing, and it doesn't help, I'm gonna try to take a different approach, and ask you guys a question:

How do you guys practice for Competitions and Tournaments?

Ever since I reached level 40, I was trying to compete against other fisherman. But no matter how many videos I watch, how much time I put into optimizing my setups (trying different rods, reels, and lines), going to the lakes, trying different retrieving techniques, forwarding time to the same conditions, changing the spots, changing the depths (for bobber fishing), trying to adjust to the weather, etc.: most of the times, the guys in the top 3 positions seem to catch about double the amount of fish I am able to catch.

I've had quite some success in some of the competitions. E.g. the topwater pike competition in Louisiana (Dancing with Pike). Last time I took part in that competition, I was able to catch 2 uniques in one competition (yay!), and a pretty small one, too. The uniques were just a little bit too small to compete with the top 3 players. And I accept that; that's just bad RNG. Same for the "Muskie Topping". I'm able to catch quite a lot of muskies nowadays, but if it's not 5,994 kgs, you're SOL&JWF. And that's OK, too.

But for some competitions, like Triple the Trout today, I just don't understand the difference between "regular FP" and "competition FP". I went to Alberta 2 real-life hours before the competition started, and did some practicing. Almost all of the fish hooked themselves, none of them got away (due to loose lines), and I got into the flow.

But as soon as I enter the competition, my retrieve (that I did for 2 hours) doesn't work, my lure is going everywhere I don't want it to (the ground!), I get snags all the way, I can't hook the fish, and if I manage to hook one, they're like two times more aggressive than in regular FP. They fight like a beast, and get away if I don't keep the left trigger pressed all the time.

So my question to the developers would be: how can that be? But I don't wanna ask them, since they most likely won't respond anyways 😜

instead, I'd like to know: Did you guys make similar experiences? How do you practice for competitions and tournaments? Do you just play the competitions as often as you can, and do your practicing there? Or do you get the feeling that you can apply the experience you get by practicing in "real FP" to what you do in the competitions?

I accept and embrace the fact that competitions and tournaments are harder than regular FP. I just wanna know if it's all luck at some point, or if it's really skill that makes a difference. Especially since one of the guys who took part in the same competition left by saying "this was the lobby of hell", and I've heard of people restarting the game, in order to get into another lobby, and shoot for better RNG there.

Edited by alohastone

From what I've gathered, 99% of the comps boil down to knowing the spot or spots to fish. A little luck never hurts either. Sometimes these spots correlate directly to regular fishing and often they don't. Things like bait or lure used, retrieval, hook size, leader depth, etc. vary depending on who you speak to. I was going it alone for a long time trying to figure this stuff out along with my wife and managed to do well in a couple of comps. Lately, I've branched out and made more friends which has helped my knowledge base tremendously. We share knowledge with each other and are happy when any of us finish top ten. To me it's rewarding to see someone do well if any info I gave them helped at all.

• Like 4

• Power Members

What nordak is saying is he met rattle and me lol jk buddy actually having friends who help you with different spots and different techniques helps a whole lot myself ive fished these comps side by side with some of the best guys in the game i give advice as much as i get and i learn along the way what actually works for me and what dont i try new stuff all the time during the comp but im sure once you find a good group to get in youll become even better ._._.._./ i just happened to fall in with some of greats and they know who they are....

• Like 6

its ashame  the game comps has come down to this.  most of us should not even try. something should be done by spreading the wealth a little bit . not saying to boycott comps but leave some meat on the bones for the average player maybe by not having the top say five percent winning an sorry to say but with the same people winning ur destroying the game for the rest of us. Something should be done internally in the game but dont see that coming. So top five percent enjoy urselves at the top of food chain but what are we supposed to feel coming in 50 to 100  place for months dont leave the average player out in the cold and leaving us hopeless in order of winning close to one of these comps. Should the game pertain to the majority of players cause the majority of fisherman at this point find comps a waste of time should we just stick too solo fishing and just forget bout competitive fishing.

Edited by tombomb79
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, tombomb79 said:

its ashame  the game comps has come down to this.  most of us should not even try. (..) leave some meat on the bones for the average player maybe by not having the top say five percent winning (..) Something should be done internally in the game but dont see that coming. (..) what are we supposed to feel coming in 50 to 100  place for months

I get what you're saying, and I feel the same way. Like I said, in some competitions I've had more luck than others, and am able to compete in the top 10-30s. In others though, it's 50-100 for me, too.

In my opinion, a relatively easy way to "fix" this, or keep more unexperienced players motivated, would be rank-based competitions. As of now, there's just the amateur competitions, and "the rest of the world". But there's a big difference between players who have just reached level 40, and players level 40 with a rank 150 or something. The latter might've played on the PC before, know their stuff, play in clans or clubs, have a lot of knowledge, and can invest a lot of time into the game. Of course, somebody who's playing on his own, maybe once or twice a week, can't keep up with the pro players.

It might be worth thinking of a way to differentiate the player base a little more, by introducing kind of "intermediate" competitions.

10 hours ago, nordak76 said:

I was going it alone for a long time trying to figure this stuff out along with my wife and managed to do well in a couple of comps. Lately, I've branched out and made more friends which has helped my knowledge base tremendously. We share knowledge with each other and are happy when any of us finish top ten. To me it's rewarding to see someone do well if any info I gave them helped at all.

Word. That's what I thought. I've been making friends as well, in the last couple of weeks. And it's a lot more fun to practice for competitions and tournaments in a group, share info, and then enter the competition or tournament together. It just "feels" a little "unfair" (maybe that's the wrong word), that some people have all that knowledge, and are not willing to share it. I get the point that all the top level players found out on themselves, and did so by putting a lot of effort and time into it, and therefore don't want to just give it away "for free" (and make it harder on themselves by helping out competitors). It's just a little frustrating to play competitions, and not being able to keep up with the rest.

10 hours ago, nordak76 said:

From what I've gathered, 99% of the comps boil down to knowing the spot or spots to fish. A little luck never hurts either. Sometimes these spots correlate directly to regular fishing and often they don't.

Thank you. That's the impression I was getting, and it's good to hear that sometimes the spots (maybe even depths, lures) DON'T correlate at all. So sometimes you just have to play the competitions a lot, and do your testing & practice there. And if the devs can change spots and times and stuff server-side, without publishing and update, I get that you have to know ALL the possible spots, and adapt to what the competition is presenting you.

7 hours ago, Warlordsully67 said:

What nordak is saying is he met rattle and me lol jk buddy actually having friends who help you with different spots and different techniques helps a whole lot myself

haha. i like you guys already! lots of luck and tight lines to all of you!

One more question I've been pondering about. Maybe you can clear this up for me, without giving away too much information.

To what level does the weather actually affect the behaviour of fish? I noticed that it does make sense to play around with depth on different conditions. But do you increase or decrease the depth on high / low pressure? Do shiny e.g. Walkers work better on sunny days, and coloured ones on cloudy / rainy conditions And do lines really make a difference? I've been wondering if it's just a minor thing, or if it does make a significant difference?

Thanks a lot for your replies so far. Have a great week and good luck in the competitions!

• Like 2

Competitions and tournaments are misleading to say the least.

They bear no reflection whatsoever to fishing for pleasure.

You can learn everything there is to learn in this game, then go into a competition and be gobsmacked as to why everything you've learned suddenly doesn't work.

The only way to practice is to fish comps until your eyeballs are bleeding, and hopefully make some friends who've put the time in who will share information with you.

There's a different system in place for competitions that rewards those who grind. Average Joe doesn't have a chance in hell.

And that's why the comps are misleading - everyone, regardless of level, should be in with a chance of winning. And it just doesn't happen because the same old names always take the top spots.

Don't get me wrong, they deserve it after all the practice. But how can they then hold their heads high when the simple fact is competitions are completely different to the main game?

Comps should mean every single person has a shot at a win, but that is just not happening, because comps have their own unique criteria that isn't a part of the regular game and, some guys have taken the time and trouble to learn them all.

There are two choices - grind the comps and end up battling the same 10 names jockeying for a spot on the podium, or don't bother.

I choose the latter.

If and when the devs choose to make the comps reflect actual fishing instead of being subject to a totally different subset of rules and RNG, then they may get my interest again.

But, I can see why they do what they do. It draws people in and makes them think they need better gear....ker-ching!!

I'm not salty at all, just pointing out facts. I have zero interest in comps and haven't done for quite some time, I take my hat off to those who have them figured out. But I will defend this post if any of the names pipe up saying comps are just the same as playing for fun, because everyone knows that is clearly not the case.

One final thought. A competition should offer every participant a chance of winning. FPs competitions fall somewhat short of that. How is it a competition when someone who's just got the level and licence for a venue doesn't stand a chance?

Yep, all you comp names sputter into your cornflakes, I don't care. The comp system is messed up and you know it. All you do is battle each other and trade the top ten placings every comp for whoever had the luckiest RNG. How is a newbie supposed to even have a chance against you fishing as they did in the main game? And then you get some of you even creating alt accounts to enter the amateur comps ( I can name....several people ). And they have the cheek to come here and try to defend themselves

Ah, those all-important online egos have to be polished I guess.

Comps and tournaments are a joke and will remain so until FP make them totally random so any and everybody has a chance, which simply isn't the case right now.

It's the one aspect of the game that is a let-down unfortunately 😞

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

So irl i just had a Fishing tournment n guess who won ?     A 14 year old boy   i clearly have more experience an better qaulity equipment but thats whats so great about it . We all have a even chance at winning an thats what so great about it.  Wasnt all skill the boy landed one by shear chance.  Wish comps were u just have to happen to be at the right time an place.

• Like 2

• Power Members

Ok Vole i haven't talked to you but once for about 3 minutes are you sure you even play this because ive worked hard at trying to be one of those top ten and im still at best a top 30 

5 hours ago, Violentvole said:

Competitions and tournaments are misleading to say the least.

They bear no reflection whatsoever to fishing for pleasure.

You can learn everything there is to learn in this game, then go into a competition and be gobsmacked as to why everything you've learned suddenly doesn't work.

The only way to practice is to fish comps until your eyeballs are bleeding, and hopefully make some friends who've put the time in who will share information with you.

There's a different system in place for competitions that rewards those who grind. Average Joe doesn't have a chance in hell.

And that's why the comps are misleading - everyone, regardless of level, should be in with a chance of winning. And it just doesn't happen because the same old names always take the top spots.

Don't get me wrong, they deserve it after all the practice. But how can they then hold their heads high when the simple fact is competitions are completely different to the main game?

Comps should mean every single person has a shot at a win, but that is just not happening, because comps have their own unique criteria that isn't a part of the regular game and, some guys have taken the time and trouble to learn them all.

There are two choices - grind the comps and end up battling the same 10 names jockeying for a spot on the podium, or don't bother.

I choose the latter.

If and when the devs choose to make the comps reflect actual fishing instead of being subject to a totally different subset of rules and RNG, then they may get my interest again.

But, I can see why they do what they do. It draws people in and makes them think they need better gear....ker-ching!!

I'm not salty at all, just pointing out facts. I have zero interest in comps and haven't done for quite some time, I take my hat off to those who have them figured out. But I will defend this post if any of the names pipe up saying comps are just the same as playing for fun, because everyone knows that is clearly not the case.

One final thought. A competition should offer every participant a chance of winning. FPs competitions fall somewhat short of that. How is it a competition when someone who's just got the level and licence for a venue doesn't stand a chance?

Yep, all you comp names sputter into your cornflakes, I don't care. The comp system is messed up and you know it. All you do is battle each other and trade the top ten placings every comp for whoever had the luckiest RNG. How is a newbie supposed to even have a chance against you fishing as they did in the main game? And then you get some of you even creating alt accounts to enter the amateur comps ( I can name....several people ). And they have the cheek to come here and try to defend themselves

Ah, those all-important online egos have to be polished I guess.

Comps and tournaments are a joke and will remain so until FP make them totally random so any and everybody has a chance, which simply isn't the case right now.

It's the one aspect of the game that is a let-down unfortunately 😞

6 hours ago, Violentvole said:

I agree with some of what you're saying, but there are some comps that you can prepare for and use information gathered from regular rounds of fishing. I'm far from an expert and don't fish all the comps, but Cats 'n Nightcatchers, Moonlight Gars, Salmon Galore and Catfish Trials are ones that I've done well in using techniques and spots I learned outside of competition settings. You do have to tweak that knowledge a bit to optimize how well you place, but it's very possible to at least compete with the big guys. 

4 hours ago, tombomb79 said:

So irl i just had a Fishing tournment n guess who won ?     A 14 year old boy   i clearly have more experience an better qaulity equipment but thats whats so great about it . We all have a even chance at winning an thats what so great about it.  Wasnt all skill the boy landed one by shear chance.  Wish comps were u just have to happen to be at the right time an place.

If this was the model for comps, the scenario you laid out would be equally, if not more, frustrating as you'd basically have zero control over how well you did. This is like calling the lottery a competition.

Edited by nordak76
  • Like 1

This has been an issue for me for a while. Competition fishing is different from regular fishing to me. Is it apples and oranges? Probably not. I agree with nordak that you do have to tweak your info for the comps. Lately I have significantly improved at some comps by doing just that. For example, going from 400 points to 1100 points in the Neherrin Minimal. Not winning them yet but I at least compete.

The point about the same people always at the top is another matter. To me that is a Fishing Planet issue. I don't blame someone for figuring out what works best consistently. But if they have figured it out, FP should work to make changes so more people can compete. To paraphrase Spock, the fun of the many, outweighs the fun of the few. More people enjoying comps means more money. Tournaments are the same. I guess I am a nerd because I did the math on the last 4 tourneys and just under 6% of entrants were taking 41% of the qualifying spots. That is very top heavy.  I sent my findings to Sergey and he acknowledged that the comp system needed fixing but would probably have to wait until after the new lakes are released. He was also kind enough to ask for further feedback on the system, which I happily gave him.

• Like 5

i get the lottery part but lets have the  best for both worlds.  Have hardcore type comp that the elite players can fight it out and lets also have a more unpredictable comp thats more of a being in the right spot and time.  I find irl fishing for stocked trout sometimes its just hitting at the right moment.  I see nothing wrong with that cause sometimes thats how the cookie crumbles. Of course some skill is involved but maybe they can create a style of comps that we can just get lucky that day and takes out the players that have insight knowledge but lean more to the unpredictable results.  would also like to see in these new style comps having new players at top of the board for once. Why arent we on the same drawing board im using same bait same rod and fishing in the same hole and if the guy next to me catches most of the fish id probably pack my stuff up and leave. Been fishing all my life and  Its not rocket science just looking for more fairness.

Edited by tombomb79

On 6/28/2018 at 7:23 PM, Warlordsully67 said:

Ok Vole i haven't talked to you but once for about 3 minutes are you sure you even play this because ive worked hard at trying to be one of those top ten and im still at best a top 30 

Hmm, let me see if I can put this into a post that is understandable to all ( no offence intended or implied there ).

Back in October/November I used to fish with some guys for fun and in comps, we were learning both styles at the time. However, after several top tens on my part I decided I was already fed up of the same names topping all the comps so I pretty much quit them there and then. Those other guys, they liked the comps so their fishing became dedicated to competitions only.

Now, I am very, very good at fishing for pleasure on here ( not gonna blow my own trumpet - I prefer a tuba. They're louder 😛 ), if you name me a uni in chat I'll go with you to wherever and help you catch it, and I developed my own money making method that still rakes it in far faster than pike alley. But those other guys? They stopped fishing for pleasure a long time ago. It's all comps comps comps.

The point being, I learned one game, they learned another. Some skills are transferable from pleasure fishing to comps, more are probably transferable from comp fishing to pleasure fishing.

But as it stands the average level 25 pleasure fisherman who's spent all his time learning the game doesn't have a hope in hell during comps because everything he knows is wrong. Despite being right for just playing for pleasure.

A competition should be open and accessible to all, and every contender should stand a chance of winning. And that simply isn't that case.

Competitions shouldn't be about knowing times and locations like pleasure fishing. They should be down to pure RNG and luck to ensure everyone has an equal chance. They aren't and everyone doesn't. So it isn't a competition per sé.

I believe my last paragraph is the one I await a response to the most. I'm wondering which way it'll go. If it goes the way I think, well, it'll be fun 😉

Pointing out facts is whining? Ok.

Why so defensive about comps?

I notice you declined to comment on my last paragraph, and your comment ' learn comps ' says absolutely everything in a far more obvious and eloquent way than I ever could have. I wish I'd used that phrase, dammit. * sarcasm *

Thank you for turning my point from mortar into cement, you inadvertently endorsed what I was saying.

Manipulation moves in mysterious ways my friend, now you gotta try and unsay it.

• Like 1

I'm the only one that complains about comps. Ok. Nice situational awareness there Chief.

Now, when you said " learn comps ", would you define that as a true competition? Something that anyone can win? Or do they need to learn?

If they need to learn how to win, it isn't a competition is it?

But, you keep having your digs at me. My hide is tougher than the ass on a dead rhinocerous.

I loved the concept of competitions, I entered loads. But if you aren't in the know, you cannot win. How is that a competition where every competitor has an equal chance of winning?

You got a like, and look who it is.

If you can reply with a post that states every competitor regardless of level has a chance of winning and provide proof, I shall cease and desist. But you know that isn't the case.

If you have to learn something, it isn't random. Said randomness is the whole basis of competitions - to give everyone an equal chance. Which simply is not the case here.

You can sputter into your cornflakes on this one, but you said it yourself. Learn competitions.

Oh, and please spell whining correctly when you accuse me of such. Getting into arguments when your grammar is less than 100% just makes you look even more stupid.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Just a question... why random the spots in comps , if you cant find the spots actually ? They are some new spots since the last update, did you find it ? The question about random spots is totally false, anyway the result will be the same... you know why? Because they search everyday new spots to improve there results. Do you do that ? How many spots do you know about gars? There are many...how many spot do you know in st croix to do the trout ? There are many. Did you find the best tecnik to do goldrush in new york ? Do you know what is the best rod ?...i read here that even you know all spots in maps, it doesnt count for comp..once again totaly wrong..i agree with one think.sometimes we need good rng or lucky

Hunting games are totally random. How would we like that game if everytime you come up over a hill there a deer at the same time and place?  Planet must randomize there fishing spawning points.  I understand its a game but fishing isnt meant to be mechanical.  Fishing should be unpredictable thats best part about it.  So we have pleasure fishing and comps so far introduced and the comps and totally busted so were left with pleasure fishing which can be a total bore fest after awhile.  Planet needs to work on comps or make pleasure fishing exciting.  Fishing with my old buddies was a blast but most have packed up and shipped out because we could know longer participate together for common cause.  At the moment theres more conversation on forums thats left in the game. Please FP let us work together with some type of goal in mind because players are leaving I feel because the game has no direction at all. We can only fish for so long without meaningful content. Hope the 4th can bring us together again cause holidays in this game are interesting.  Will see if fireworks will spark up some conversations and helping one another out? devs are there any plans for pleasure fishing or are comps going to be tweeked alittle bit?  

Edited by tombomb79

From my experience all games have flaws . You cant make it totally random with RNG deciding who win the comps who would enjoy play at competitive game where skill is no factor . In real fishing the people who study and practice are the people who win most of the time . Its the same here in fishing planet .I would like to see it more random yes but just like real fishing fish go to certain areas in certain weather conditions . I think the ubersheet made alot of use lazy Fishing Planet player as we didnt need to put in as much work as the devs had intended. They said they are working on fish behavior already with any luck it will add more realism to the game .

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, Hate_ful said:

From my experience all games have flaws . You cant make it totally random with RNG deciding who win the comps who would enjoy play at competitive game where skill is no factor . In real fishing the people who study and practice are the people who win most of the time . Its the same here in fishing planet .I would like to see it more random yes but just like real fishing fish go to certain areas in certain weather conditions . I think the ubersheet made alot of use lazy Fishing Planet player as we didnt need to put in as much work as the devs had intended. They said they are working on fish behavior already with any luck it will add more realism to the game .

Most of you nows that certain competition have diferent weather, diferent pressure ... some competition are on sunnay day and the same competition somedays are cloudy days. So its very diferent in some competitions, you must change lure , you must change spots, you must change depth sometimes. So the random are here in fishing planet.

When i say random i really meant as far as the conditions it seems the same weather patterns repeat over and over . They also could change the fish weight objective in the comps like the musky and trout . The time the comps take place could be randomly set to change , imagine top notch walleye at 12 noon on sunnyday . The way it is now is random but there could be much more to it making it more enjoyable to everyone 

• Like 3

• 1 year later...
On 6/27/2018 at 2:36 PM, tombomb79 said:

its ashame  the game comps has come down to this.  most of us should not even try. something should be done by spreading the wealth a little bit . not saying to boycott comps but leave some meat on the bones for the average player maybe by not having the top say five percent winning an sorry to say but with the same people winning ur destroying the game for the rest of us. Something should be done internally in the game but dont see that coming. So top five percent enjoy urselves at the top of food chain but what are we supposed to feel coming in 50 to 100  place for months dont leave the average player out in the cold and leaving us hopeless in order of winning close to one of these comps. Should the game pertain to the majority of players cause the majority of fisherman at this point find comps a waste of time should we just stick too solo fishing and just forget bout competitive fishing.

Yeah I think your right I’m not doing no more comps there rigged and u spend 2hrs catching maybe 10 fish and half of them you don’t need it’s a lot of time wasting and it shouldn’t matter how u fish as long as ur using what they say to use and it’s really shit that the creators do that it really shouldn’t be hard u throw a line in and u should still catch fish no matter how people fish there comps are a joke anyways I can not recommend this game to my friends because it’s stupid 

3 hours ago, f1999falcon said:

Yeah I think your right I’m not doing no more comps there rigged and u spend 2hrs catching maybe 10 fish and half of them you don’t need it’s a lot of time wasting and it shouldn’t matter how u fish as long as ur using what they say to use and it’s really shit that the creators do that it really shouldn’t be hard u throw a line in and u should still catch fish no matter how people fish there comps are a joke anyways I can not recommend this game to my friends because it’s stupid 

You were in my lobby yesterday in preditor hunt, i explained to you that it was more than just cast at 1 spot. Jeez whats with all these people l8ly, R u related to katlin by any chance 😅. Comps are different if you want to play them and do well learn them. People need to stop thinking just because they can lesurly fill there keep net they can do well in comps. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1