Unique Chain pickerel @Emerald Lake

LeapedAmoeba541

hey guys I have been fishing at emerald lake for a long time trying to catch a unique Chain pickerel but all I can catch is black crappies when I cast out past the lily pads on the left, right now I am using small minows on a barbless Hook #1/0 on a feeder rod, small minows on a number #1/0 barbless Hook 70cm (27inches) down on a teloscopic rod. I was just wondering what setups I should be using as in what baits and what size hooks to catch this fish

(If you're high enough level) You could try using shiners or large minnows (both of which might be too heavy to use on those setups) and a larger hook #4/0, (Chain) Pickerel tend to be found near the surface (though it should be possible to catch some on bottom tackle). 

Might be better to try with lures (maybe casting spoons, medium spoons, walkers or frog poppers all using hooks around #3/0 in size). Depending on the line weight you're using you might also need to use a titanium leader to prevent being bitten off.

They can also be caught in other areas like the entrance to the small inlet over to the far right or in the larger backwater area over to the left (close to cover like weed beds and drowned trees), you will need a boat/kayak to get those spots.  

GL.

2 hours ago, PH_Carpman99 said:

(If you're high enough level) You could try using shiners or large minnows (both of which might be too heavy to use on those setups) and a larger hook #4/0, (Chain) Pickerel tend to be found near the surface (though it should be possible to catch some on bottom tackle). 

Might be better to try with lures (maybe casting spoons, medium spoons, walkers or frog poppers all using hooks around #3/0 in size). Depending on the line weight you're using you might also need to use a titanium leader to prevent being bitten off.

They can also be caught in other areas like the entrance to the small inlet over to the far right or in the larger backwater area over to the left (close to cover like weed beds and drowned trees), you will need a boat/kayak to get those spots.  

GL.

thankyou