MissTerious711

Best Tackle for Large-mouth bass fishing

I'm using a Nero 12'10 rod with a Prima 2000 reel...really cant afford much else right now... (just managed to catch my biggest fish...16 lb flathead catfish on small minnows) Didn't have the license to keep it. I am in the Neherrin River to try and make some money up.

Really not sure what hook to use- from what I've seen, people have used a #2, #3/0, and a 4...but I seem to be just catching white crappies more than anything. Unsure if lines mean much besides higher weight of fish, but using an X-series Mono .02 at the moment. 

Not sure what gear/tackle I should be going for right now, traveling to other places is quite expensive.  I would like to get the hang of catching largemouth bass before moving on to another area.  Currently level 19.

Oh and I can't use spoons/jigs (any tackle that makes you stop and go) if my life depended on it..I can't get that technique down.

Edited by MissTerious711
Added last sentence

To perform Stop & Go (on the PC), cast the lure, allow to sink to the bottom, reel in for 3 seconds, stop (for 1 sec), reel in for 3 seconds again, repeat. Reel in speed of 2 normally works (drop down to 1 if the lure is coming to the surface quicker than you like).

14 hours ago, Carpman99 said:

To perform Stop & Go (on the PC), cast the lure, allow to sink to the bottom, reel in for 3 seconds, stop (for 1 sec), reel in for 3 seconds again, repeat. Reel in speed of 2 normally works (drop down to 1 if the lure is coming to the surface quicker than you like).

Thanks, I play mainly on the PS4..but does give me an idea on how to use it.

I recommend on a budget the Jigwinner 8,10 rod with a prima reel. Use 8 lb test doesn’t matter if it’s mono fluoro or braid and when you unlock the frog buy a few of them. Absolutely deadly on the largemouth bass at Florida and Louisiana. I’ve had luck with it even at North Carolina, Missouri, and even  lone star. Put it on 2 speed give 3 rotations followed by short pause followed by two reel rotations. This technique works well with spoons and cranks as well.i know that may sound crazy using 8 lb test to haul in unique largemouths which can weigh a shy under 14 I’ve caught them using this setup because the rod is doing the work and can handle the bass. If you want know worries and have the cash then get a baitcaster I recommend the bass caster 7’3” rod and any of the yellow baitcaster reels the higher the level the better the reel. Use 20 lb braid and no bass will ever give you an issue including the striped bass at California. That setup can bring in pretty much anything.