Marshall_Maz

Spinning setup for Michigan

Hi everyone , can someone please help me with a good spinning setup for Michigan to get Northern Pike and Muskie. I know the float setup with shiners , but I don't like float fishing. I prefer spinning as it's 1. more fun and 2. no need to constantly replace expensive baits. I have tried #3/0 casting spoons , all 4 colors , #4/0 medium spoons red and yellow and about 5 different crank baits. Nothing was effective. Can someone help me with the correct lures as well as correct spot to use. Thank you

1 hour ago, del1947 said:

Fish the reed lines and lily-pads .  Move up in hook size  5/0  6/0   Mich. i use as a bank.

Already tried that. Doesn't work. Tried shads and spinner baits now. Also crossed of the list as not working. It's as if the pike here refuse any lure baits completely.

So now tried casting spoons , medium spoons , crank baits , shads and spinners. All ineffective. And hook sizes ranging from #3/0 to #6/0 on them. The only thing that works is float with shiners :(

Try a 1 1/2 oz single spoon . go to the Pike cove, any spot and fish all the reeds you can reach, Try different retrieves (they all catch fish).

Use at 3ft lure stop and go , a dying minnow, works like a charm.

Validate your files.

4 hours ago, del1947 said:

Try a 1 1/2 oz single spoon . go to the Pike cove, any spot and fish all the reeds you can reach, Try different retrieves (they all catch fish).

Use at 3ft lure stop and go , a dying minnow, works like a charm.

Validate your files.

Is Pike cove the middle spawn ( Woods eastern bank ) and then you walk al the way to the right ?

3ft lure I assume is crankbait ? And minnow is that the colour ? Or name ? What depth must I start the stop and go , keep it at the bottom or middle or top ?

Sorry I forget language  difference. #1 color makes no difference in anything. Save some money and buy only 1 of each lure.

Yes, woods eastern bank. as you go to the right,  all the places you can fish from,  cast a 3 foot crankbait in to the reeds or lily pads. Reel a few feet let the crankbait come back to the top, reel a few more feet and repeat.   Try different speeds.  What you want to do is make the crank bait act like a dying minnow.

Spoons you can use all different ways, bounce them off the bottom, stop and go.  Reel them so they run on the surface or just below the surface.

Spinners same thing.

Think of a injured minnow in the water....try to make you lure behave as if it were that minnow.  

When you fish with lures, any lure, you are trying to mimic live animals.  Understanding that is the secret . How you mimic that  animal isn't important. There are many ways to do this. Just keep in mind  What  you are trying to mimic.  That is fishing.

I'm sorry  i am not a good teacher. Just an old man who has been fishing a long time.

1 hour ago, del1947 said:

Sorry I forget language  difference. #1 color makes no difference in anything. Save some money and buy only 1 of each lure.

Yes, woods eastern bank. as you go to the right,  all the places you can fish from,  cast a 3 foot crankbait in to the reeds or lily pads. Reel a few feet let the crankbait come back to the top, reel a few more feet and repeat.   Try different speeds.  What you want to do is make the crank bait act like a dying minnow.

Spoons you can use all different ways, bounce them off the bottom, stop and go.  Reel them so they run on the surface or just below the surface.

Spinners same thing.

Think of a injured minnow in the water....try to make you lure behave as if it were that minnow.  

When you fish with lures, any lure, you are trying to mimic live animals.  Understanding that is the secret . How you mimic that  animal isn't important. There are many ways to do this. Just keep in mind  What  you are trying to mimic.  That is fishing.

I'm sorry  i am not a good teacher. Just an old man who has been fishing a long time.

Ok copy that , will give it a try. Going into my last session at Michigan now

First off, from killerwhale "Lure color has a different visibility due to different weather, and cause the faster or slower fish attacks. However not affect attraction."
So do pay attention to color. 

http://www.fishfinder.poulhollensted.dk/index.html  (Fish hotspot  suggestion map and lure info. Mostly accurate)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1B5W-Ab_oaUAmJKQC0F6EsZ-3O9kyutLQtP4EuSh8VT0/edit#gid=1353546866 (The google doc of knowing.... Use it.)

Edited by Bellyrub

Ok so tried an hour real time with the crank method suggested. Yielded only 3 fish. Switched back to float and caught 100kg fish in the next real time hour. This lake lures simply is completely ineffective and nerfed to the ground. The only thing left I didn't try is the single spoons , they are locked away to high level , can't buy them yet.

Found that #3/0 Medium spoon works great at " Fairytale Fishing" for Walleye, and landed a Unique :) Pitty it's only between 19:00 and 21:00.
If it is raining there during the day , will it also work like in NY with purple worm on #3/0 Jighead like Walleye is active during the rain in the day at NY ?

Edited by Marshall_Maz

Guys is there a place where I can cast fish for Walleye OTHER than "Fairytale Fishing" ? The constant heavy snags on all directions I fish there is getting a real pain in the behind and spoiling the fun. ( I cast towards the beach from left boeie to right boeie and all those directions has bad snag points )
Any other place you can recommend please ?

On 9/14/2017 at 8:52 AM, Bellyrub said:

First off, from killerwhale "Lure color has a different visibility due to different weather, and cause the faster or slower fish attacks. However not affect attraction."
So do pay attention to color. 

http://www.fishfinder.poulhollensted.dk/index.html  (Fish hotspot  suggestion map and lure info. Mostly accurate)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1B5W-Ab_oaUAmJKQC0F6EsZ-3O9kyutLQtP4EuSh8VT0/edit#gid=1353546866 (The google doc of knowing.... Use it.)

I really like that website ty for sharing.

not to bring back a dead post but I found using a Crankbait 8ft #4/0 Works really well on the pike. If u have a boat u can line it up just right where u can cast pretty far and go past a few lilly pads. I dont even do anything special and i seem to catch them fairly well. I just put it on the slowest speed and place something on my mouse button to auto reel in. works wonders for me.