Sign in to follow this  
Icerunner45

Line for unique pike?

Just saw a guy catch a 42 pound unique northern pike in Michigan. How heavy of a line do you need for that? Can you catch a heavier fish than your tackle says it is for? 

For example, using 25# Line could I catch a 30# fish? Or a 40# fish?

15 hours ago, Icerunner45 said:

yes... careful of drag setting... too big a catch will break your line and you'll lose the terminal tackle as well as the "big one that got away".  some fights you cannot win because your rig will not have enough power to stop the fish from stripping all the line, at which point line and reel will both break.  It takes a bit of experience, just like RL, which is part of the attraction of this simulator.

• Like 1

I ended up catching an upper 30# unique pike yesterday with 20# line. It put up a good fight and I thought it was going to break my line, but I got him in. The only problem was that my keepnet couldn't hold a fish that big lol. Go figure. 

On 9/30/2017 at 3:01 PM, Icerunner45 said:

Just earlier I caught a 44# Alligator gar on 12# line. It's all in the drag setting and using the rod to your advantage.

Edited by EG_Coupe_Civic
corrected line weight

It's all about proper drag setting, & using your rod to let the fish tire itself out. Just like in RL, you need to let the fish run a while. Don't burn up your reel trying to force it in. As in RL, if you take your time, & let the fish run when it wants to run, it will get tired, because as in RL, the lactic acids build up in the fishes muscle, & it becomes fatigued. Keep practicing, & you'll have it down to a science, & fighting fish will get easier & easier. Use the right gear, & it's a piece of cake, just might take a few minutes to get that big lunker landed some times :)

Agree with everyone on here

for example:

66.314lb trophy alligator gar caught on a 15lb spinning rod with 14lb line sorry if the lb isnt correct it was with the far caster rod that came with sports bundle

it all depends on your fighting technique and to use the proper drag setting at the correct times, as well as reeling controls meaning don't reel when the fish is trying to take line can slow him down a bit and win some line.

i figured this out with the Halloween event at NC when i had a 10lb float setup catching 40lb green ogre gar.

best is play around with drag and reel settings and see what works best for your type of game play

happy fishing 

On 10/9/2017 at 8:10 AM, SlothnessMonster said:

pretty sure i use 15kg line on PC and my largest uni Pike is 20kg largest Gar is 39kg (x2.2=lbs) on Ps4 I'm currently using a 7.1kg line and my largest Pike is 16kg

same 6.8kg line got me a 32kg ali gar

currently using skelehand 12.5kg rod with 11kg line and biggest was a 30kg blue cat

I caught a 54# Pike on 25# line. Took about 25 min of game time to bring in.  A 29 lb tarpon took me about 60 min to reel in with a 20 # setup.  Fish like gar and cat fish pound don't seem to fight as much pound for pound.  I think Atlantic Salmon are the best fighters  pound for poundI have caught so far