ondry

EMERALD LAKE-New York

EMERALD LAKE-New York

large_1106.png.77f52b024909863e83d0a4956

This picturesque and shady lake is situated in one of the largest remote areas in the state of New York that shows practically no marks of civilization. Snugly hidden in a natural wilderness that encompasses thousands of acres of rolling hills and unbroken forestlands, Emerald Lake overwhelms with its cool tranquility and mystic atmosphere. Despite the lake’s exquisite natural beauty, its remote location makes it inaccessible to simple tourists, with only the daring anglers exploring its desolate shoreline. Indeed, Emerald Lake's varying terrain offers both low banks and drop-offs near the shoreline thus providing two different angling locations perfect for catching Grass Pickerel, Northern Pike, Black Crappie, Yellow Perch or Golden Shiner.

So I was at emerald lake and all of the sudden my line starts going out, and I mean going. I couldn’t do a thing to stop it, when it hit the end, bam, it broke the line and I had no lure left. What I don’t get is that it seemed to do no damage to the reel, any chance Nessie is now at emerald lake. LOL, not sure what happened, any ideas ? Drag setting was @ 4 of 8.

Thanks for the reply LMAO at the 18 wheeler 

rod valuespin 8’ 6” 3-7.5 lbs

reel espiraslim 2500 drag 6.4  6lb test

Narrow spoon 1/2  2/0 red halographic 

ps anyone who says Emerald is lame in the sunshine is crazy, I just had a great day all around 😎👍🏻

Looking at the leader board for Emerald shows Unique Chain pickerel going to 7.377 lb and Unique Sauger to 6.988 lb, which I think you should have been able to stop/slow with your tackle, unless it was the MOAU (Mother Of All Unies). Anyone else experienced this I wonder ? 🗽🛶🚛

The issue is probably with your drag setting.  Here's an example:  I believe the EspiraSlim 2500 has 6 drag settings and the EspiraSlim Sport & SE have 8, all with a max of 6.4 pounds of maximum drag.  Let's see what a drag setting of 4 would be, just divide 6.4 by either 6 or 8 depending on the reel that way you know exactly what each click of drag will add. At a drag setting of 4 with a 6 drag setting reel you had 4.2666664 pounds of drag, with and 8 drag setting reel you had 3.2 pounds of drag.  With the 6 setting reel you could go to a drag setting of 5 giving you 5.33333 pounds of drag, the 8 setting reel you could go to a drag setting of 7 giving you 5.6 pounds of drag.  I have found through experience that if your drag is set to 0.2 pounds of drag less than the line weight you won't break a line, the line indicator will go into the red but it's still safe.  

Hope this helps and now you know how to make an efficient, balanced setup.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, PH_Hilrond said:

I have found through experience that if your drag is set to 0.2 pounds of drag less than the line weight you won't break a line, the line indicator will go into the red but it's still safe.  

I concur, though I use metric.

e.g. I can use 9.1kg braid or fluoro with a 9kg drag setting with the likes of the Espira DoublePunch 5500 and derivative reels, or the LineGlider 6000, which is 0.1kg (~0.22 lb)

or

the CCO fireball 6000 at 15.75kg drag with 15.8kg fluoro, which is 0.05kg (~0.11 lb) (used on my heavy float setup with the 16kg IrishClover 300/Brutus 300/CGT FinGiant 300 (9'10") rods)

the CallistoXS 1400 at 0.87kg drag with 0.9kg line, which is 0.03kg (~0.066 lb) (very light float setups for max XP off small fish for fun)

not sure how well the above will translate to US customary/imperial game settings given the rounding to whole lb for line, but in metric none of the above will brake the line at the correct very close drag setting

On 9/1/2018 at 8:39 PM, Mikentahoe1 said:

Thanks for the reply LMAO at the 18 wheeler 

rod valuespin 8’ 6” 3-7.5 lbs

reel espiraslim 2500 drag 6.4  6lb test

Narrow spoon 1/2  2/0 red halographic 

ps anyone who says Emerald is lame in the sunshine is crazy, I just had a great day all around 😎👍🏻

That happened to me in michigan I made a post about it the setup I was using pulled in gar chinook carp striper everything so it's a glitch unless there's an unknown fish in the game.

Think you’re setup is pretty perfect for New York if I had to guess it was probably a unique chain pickerel which can be over 7.5 lbs. it’s possible it could be a 4.5lb like or a unique sauger but the fight you are describing sounds definitely like a unique pickerel. The trophy walleyes get to 5.5 lbs or so and they usually don’t fight like that. You usually lose them at the dock. Those unique chain pickerel’s can really put up a fight especially when they get in open water.